27. 23, 26 - Part 1

Meerab's breath hitched in her throat as Murtasim steered the car through the wrought iron gates, the familiar crunch of gravel under tires marking their entrance into a transformed realm. Her eyes widened, her pulse quickening at the sight before her - the house, their house, stood completed, a sight she hadn't prepared herself to witness today.

The last time she had been here, the structure was a skeleton of ambitions and dreams, surrounded by the chaos of construction. Now, it was as if someone had breathed life into the very bricks and mortar, the driveway smooth and welcoming, the mud of weeks past a distant memory. The landscaping was no longer sketches on paper but lush, vibrant greenery that framed the house beautifully.

Meerab couldn't peel her eyes away from the spectacle before her. The house sparkled like a gem under the sun. As the car came to a gentle stop in the newly paved driveway, she turned to Murtasim, her eyes wide with astonishment and delight. "I thought it was going to take another few months?" she echoed her surprise.

"I might have expedited some things," he admitted with a proud grin that spread across his face.

"Murtasim!" she exclaimed, unable to contain her joy. The sight of their house, nearing completion far sooner than expected, felt like a tangible manifestation of their future together. It was a future she had dared to dream of but had hardly believed would come to fruition so vividly, so beautifully.

As she took in the grandeur of their new home, Meerab felt a profound connection to the place. The house stood as the perfect counterpoint to the Khan Haveli, embracing the two-storied modern design that had caught her eye during the planning phase, a stark contrast to the traditional haveli. Yet, it somehow captured the essence of a home that was welcoming and warm, with the white stucco walls, kissed by the sun, complemented the earthy tones of the natural stone.

The entrance was an invitation in itself, an imposing door framed by glass panels that teased the secrets of the interior. The upper story, a parade of windows, each one a promise of rooms bathed in light and warmth. This house was warm and filled with light, a far cry from the cold, imposing structures Meerab had known. It promised freedom, a space where dreams could unfold and take flight.

The lush lawns that stretched out before them whispered of days spent under the sun, of laughter and joy, of a life filled with moments both big and small. It was more than just a house; it was a foundation upon which they would build their dreams.

As Meerab's gaze lingered on the house that Murtasim had brought to life for them, she felt a profound sense of belonging. Meerab's heart swelled to the point of overflow, tears brimming in her eyes as she took in the carefully prepared flower beds in the front yard, spaces eagerly awaiting the burst of color from flowers Murtasim had promised would be there.

"Itna bura hai?" Murtasim's voice broke through her reverie, laced with playful teasing as he caught sight of her emotional state.

The floodgates opened as she turned to him, a laugh that sounded suspiciously like a sob escaped her as she shook her head, unable to find the words to express the depth of her feelings. "I love it," she managed to say, her voice thick.

Murtasim's response was immediate and tender. He stretched his arm across the console, his hand gently cradling her face, his fingers delicately wiping away the tears that traced her cheeks. "Me too," he whispered, his voice a soft echo of her emotional tumult. "Wait until you see the inside."

Her heart leapt at his words. "It's done too?" she asked, barely able to contain the surprise in her voice.

He nodded, a proud smile tugging at his lips. "Of course, the only thing missing is furniture."