29. 23, 26 - Part 3

A/N: Thank you to all of you for all the love for the last chapter, I am glad you enjoyed the fluff! Now onto the wedding, rukhsati, and the most awaited moment, hehehe. Please not that this story is now rated mature starting from this chapter. See y'all on the other side after this super long chapter!

---------------------------------------

As Murtasim took his seat on the dais in the lavish courtyard of the haveli, meticulously adjusting his sherwani and turban for what felt like the tenth time, Maryam couldn't seem to help but tease him. "You make a very handsome groom, bhai," she said, her words carrying a lightness that momentarily eased his nerves.

Despite her comforting words, Murtasim's gaze drifted toward the delicate curtain of flowers that divided the stage, separating him from where Meerab would soon be seated. The sheer thought of her walking towards the stage sent nervousness coursing through him. What was taking her so long?

Taking a deep breath, he looked around, taking in the floral décor that enveloped them. Every surface was adorned with an array of flowers, particularly the roses whose scent invariably reminded him of Meerab. The ambiance was a vivid representation of her, vibrant and full of life.

"I think he makes a very nervous groom," Areeb commented, catching Murtasim's foot tapping uncontrollably beneath the lavish setup.

Murtasim halted his tapping, a bit embarrassed. "I am not nervous," he muttered, more to convince himself than to inform his friends.

"It's not like Meerab is going to run away," Shahmeer chimed in nonchalantly, which unexpectedly made Murtasim's stomach drop. Even the mere thought, though absurd, jolted him. He shot Shahmeer a glare, which only prompted a round of snickers from their circle.

The Qazi, noticing the disturbance, sent a sharp glare their way, prompting an immediate hush over the group.

"Meerab looks gorgeous," Maryam continued, breaking the brief silence, her voice soft and reassuring. "And happy...the makeup artist had to tell her to stop smiling so she could do her makeup properly."

Hearing that, Murtasim couldn't help but grin. Knowing Meerab was happy, genuinely happy, was all he wanted.

"She also had to cover some suspicious-looking marks on her neck," Maryam added slyly, her eyes twinkling with mischief.

The comment sent another wave of laughter rippling through the group, much to the chagrin of the Qazi who cleared his throat loudly, a stern reminder of the decorum expected at such an occasion. The group promptly composed themselves, biting their lips to stifle any further outbursts.

Murtasim sighed, embarrassment colouring his expression as he sat waiting, each moment leading up to Meerab's entrance stretching infinitely.

It was Murtasimbakri who provided a dose of levity as needed. Clad in a cream kurta and skirt that matched the outfits he and Meerab were wearing, the tiny bells woven into her fur jingled melodically with each step she took. Murtasimbakri was an instant hit among the guests once again as she had been the whole wedding. Her tail wagged enthusiastically as she made her way toward the stage, stopping here and there for affectionate pats from the amused attendees.

However, her interest soon shifted towards the dais which she jumped onto, and then to the decorative floral curtain erected to separate the bride and groom. With an open mouth, she made a beeline for the flowers. "Oh no, not today," Murtasim quickly intervened, sweeping her up in his arms just before she could take a bite.

Murtasimbakri bleated in protest, wriggling in his grasp as he held her up to his eye level. "Meerab and I are getting married today, so you're going to behave, and I will give you all the flowers you want later," he negotiated firmly yet gently.