23. 22, 25 - Part 10

A/N: Thank you to all of you for the love for the last chapter, onto the next one, it's super long :)

----------------------------------------------

As Murtasim pulled up in front of the café, Meerab's eyes widened in surprise at the sight of the elegant, yet clearly empty, establishment before her. The surprise must have been evident on her face, for Murtasim turned to her with an explanation. "Shahmeer is a major investor, so he closed it down for a couple of hours. Areeb is here too," he said.

The mention of Areeb brought a smile to Meerab's face, and she couldn't resist teasing Murtasim, turning to him with a playful glint in her eye, remembering his reaction when she had thanked Areeb for the shoes that Murtasim had asked him to buy for her once. "Should I be thanking Areeb for picking out the flowers and anklets then?" she asked, a mischievous tone lacing her words.

Murtasim's response was almost immediate, his annoyance palpable yet endearing in a way that only he could manage. "I picked them, he had nothing to do with it," he muttered, a touch of defensiveness in his tone that made Meerab want to laugh. "So, you should be saying thank you to me."

Suppressing the giggles that threatened to break free, Meerab offered him a sincere, "Thank you, Murtasim," her gratitude mingling with amusement at his childishly cute demeanor.

He nodded, though he muttered something under his breath that sounded suspiciously like there are better ways to thank me as he exited the car, moving around to open her door with a chivalry that seemed ingrained in his very being.

Meerab, not wanting to leave the beautiful flowers he had brought her behind to succumb to the heat of the car, decided to take them with her, eliciting a raised eyebrow from Murtasim. "The car will get too hot, they'll wilt," she explained, to which he silently agreed, closing the door behind her.

As he opened the back door, Murtasimbakri made an enthusiastic jump out of the car, prompting a gasp from Meerab. "Careful!" she exclaimed, her protective instinct kicking in.

Murtasim's laughter filled the air, a sudden sound that made Meerab's heart flutter. "She does a lot worse than that successfully," he said, picking up the bag filled with her water and snacks.

"Were you not watching her?!" Meerab couldn't help but ask, her worry for their goat evident in her tone as she looked up at him, her gaze meeting his.

The smile that graced Murtasim's lips then was enough to quicken Meerab's heartbeat, a warmth spreading through her as he reassured her. "She's a goat, Meerab. They grow up on farms doing whatever they want. I don't baby her... too much," he added, his voice carrying a hint of amusement.

Meerab found herself nodding, he was right.

Her smile grew wider as Murtasim held out his hand to her, "let's go?" he asked, an inviting warmth in his voice.

She nodded, her hand slipping into his larger, warmer one, a perfect fit. Together, they entered the café, Murtasimbakri trotting in ahead of them.

"Of course, they brought the goat," Shahmeer's voice reached her first, amusement lacing his tone.

Areeb's quip followed, causing her cheeks to color, "It's their love child out of wedlock, she goes with them everywhere." He waved at Meerab, sitting relaxed at a table in the center of the café.

Meerab waved back, before turning to Shahmeer, who leaned casually against the front counter. His next words, accompanied by a grin, were directed at the flowers in her hand, "Are those flowers for me?"

Choosing to sidestep his jest, she eyed his attire, a far cry from the formal wear she last saw him in. "What are you wearing?" she asked, genuinely puzzled at his transformation into someone who looked like they had wandered in from another, simpler world.