11. 21, 24 - Part 3

A/N: Hola! Thank you to y'all for all the love for the last chapter! This will be last chapter of them at 21, 24. In the next chapter, we meet them at 22, 25 - and the chapter will be in Meerab's POV! So enjoy the last Murtasim's POV you'll get for a while!

--------------------------------------------------

Sitting in his dimly lit room, Murtasim was engrossed in some paperwork when Areeb walked in, a distressed look on his face. Murtasim sensed something amiss, yet again, from his demeanor.

"You were right," Areeb began, his voice strained. "The Maliks are instigating everyone, telling them you will lead them astray."

"And?" Murtasim inquired, not looking up but feeling the weight of Areeb's words.

"Some listened. They believed you are betraying traditions, that the Maliks wouldn't have done the same." Areeb's eyes were filled with a mix of sadness and rage.

Murtasim leaned back in his chair, rubbing his temples. "And the others?"

A hint of pride crept into Areeb's tone. "Surprisingly stood up for you. They said you've done more for them than anyone in the past. They trust that you won't come after their daughters and wives like Malik and his men have."

Murtasim's heart ached. The bar was set so low, loyalty was based on the simple promise of not harming their women? Yet, some of his own men had still deserted him for Malik, knowing well of Zubair's nature, perhaps a clear stance against him and Meerab.

"It's not looking good," murmured Areeb, "the Maliks are painting a picture where you're the villain, and they're the saviors. They're promising more wages, better facilities, even bonuses."

Murtasim frowned, "And yet, they forget the years when they exploited these very people, underpaying and overworking them. It's just a ploy. They're trying to buy loyalty, and secrets."

The men who had once worked on their fields carried with them vital information, the secrets of their lands, and possibly their strategies, making them more vulnerable than ever. "Secure all the warehouses, double the guards on patrol at night." He instructed, knowing that Zubair would try to take advantage of the situation and cause havoc.

Murtasim mulled over the ramifications of the recent upheaval. The once-vibrant fields and bustling workers, the lifeblood of his estate, were now waning. The departure of seasoned workers, many of whom had served his family for generations, threatened to deplete the labor force significantly. These weren't just any workers; they were skilled, experienced hands that understood the rhythm and cadence of the land. With their exit, the estate's agricultural productivity was in jeopardy.

A reduced harvest would invariably lead to a direct hit on the revenues. It wasn't just about his own luxurious lifestyle; the entire community leaned heavily on the estate's prosperity. Many local initiatives, welfare programs, and community projects were funded by the estate's earnings. A decline in revenue would mean a halt to many of these community-centric projects, unless he injected more of his personal wealth in again, which wasn't sustainable in the long run.

Moreover, the absence of a significant portion of the labor force placed a tremendous strain on the remaining workers. Murtasim dreaded the thought of them being overburdened, something he tried hard to not do, he always ensured that no one worked more than 6-8 hours a day. The land was demanding, the expectations of yield hadn't lessened, but the numbers of workers had.

Adding salt to the wound was the knowledge that Malik would be the direct beneficiary of this labor migration. The Maliks could capitalize on the influx of experienced workers, potentially elevating their estate's productivity and influence. Their gain was his loss, and Murtasim couldn't help but worry about the Maliks challenging his authority and expanding their dominion over the region.