Chapter 38: The Tutor, Losing Everything

Ciel yawned and shifted in his chair obviously bored. For some time now, he was listening about how great and happy Selina's life had been when being in the same age the boy currently was and had already lost everything. Other than the pain of losing her parents - a haunting pain he knew very well, but the woman before him seemed to have... mended quite a lot - and her work for the reapers, he had got no information on why and how she came to be sent back in time.

"My lord, I know you might not like what you hear and think that telling you about my past happiness is useless and even cruel of me, but... I came to understand you better only when I saw what you had and then lost. In the same way, I hope you might be able to understand me too." Selina informed the young Earl, but it was quite obvious that her words aimed at the seemingly totally unaffected demon by his side.

"Yes, yes, go on. I said I will listen everything you have to say and I will." He waved his hand dismissively, and then turned one more page in Selina's photographic album.

"Do not people say there is calm before the storm, my lord?" Sebastian was heard with his silky voice. "Perhaps that part is this calm in our dear Selina's life. Should we expect the storm?" He asked the witch with a wide, fake smile.

"A-Absolutely." The witch answered and her voice wavered a little.

For a moment she did not feel very well and even she was not sure whether the reason was the next part of her narration, or the demon's obvious joy in anticipation of her imminent misery. His reaction did not surprise her - she was quite prepared actually - but that did not mean that deep inside she did not hope he could make an exception for her, that he would feel a little sympathy for her sadness, showing her she was, even a little, important to him... But of course she was wrong.

{~}

The storm indeed broke out one day and it was horrible and so painful.

After graduating from school, Selina wanted to start looking for work immediately, be able to sustain herself and help her sister with the expenses of their manor, but Deanna did not hear a word; she insisted Selina should study further, go to university or college and find what she would love to do for the rest of her life. Therefore, it was a day of class for the freshman Selina, when her phone started vibrating like crazy and did not stop. It was Miranda, who probably had forgotten Selina had class today and was calling her to go out for a walk or something, since the red-headed was free of her school for the day.

Selina rejected call after call, but when the screen showed Mark's number on, she knew something was wrong, since the British man was very typical and would never bother her during class, unless there was an emergency. A subtle bad feeling she had all day took over and silently got out of class to answer the phone.

"Mark, what's going on?" She asked surprised.

"Selina..." It was Miranda who answered and sounded like she had been crying. "There has been an accident... I am heading now to hospital with Mark... The kids are safe with my parents but Deanna..."

Her ears did not listen the rest of what her cousin said, as a dull buzzing covered everything and a haze in her mind made her almost blind. She could not tell how she managed to find the way to the correct hospital, but she got there almost the same time as Mark and Miranda.

"Wha-What happened?" She asked the pale lawyer who now looked white as a paper.

"I do not know; I have no idea... They just called me while I was at home with the children and told me Deanna was involved in a car crash and my number was on speed dial." He was nervously walking back and forth running his hand through his hair ruffling them.