Chapter 29: The Tutor, False Curse

And thus, despite Wolfram's objections on the matter, Sebastian became Sieglinde's loaned butler, since the girl was determined to use him as a source of knowledge for the outside world for several days. Needless to say, how Sebastian's exemplary performance made the little witch all the more enchanted by him.

Breakfast was always served earlier than she could ever imagine Wolfram would have managed, her every desire was satisfied immediately and with great success as Sieglinde, Wolfram and few of the village women saw right the first day. One of them was assigned to help Sieglinde get dressed and she, along Wolfram, were really shocked when the girl expressed a desire to wear clothes of the outside world, but since the only available ones that would fit her were Ciel's, Sebastian took it upon himself to produce a decent ladylike garment in a matter of minutes; the bed's coverlet was the only available material. The result was more beautiful than expected, and Sieglinde's growing admiration towards the black haired butler caused Wolfram to stalk and look at Sebastian, like a jealous dog robbed of his master's affection would look his rival. Selina could not help but really enjoy the situation and give friendly pats on the back of the giant man.

Of course, Sieglinde got to know Sebastian's strict side too as the demon butler took the girl's desire to learn about the outside world too literally and began teaching all about proper table manners and etiquette any lady should know. Wolfram could not accept that "dangerous and too suspicious man" – as he called Sebastian with every chance – to raise his voice and finger in a reprimanding manner at his lady, while shocking the girl by bringing his face extremely close to hers and violating her personal space, but he could do nothing more than keep silent, since Sieglinde seemed really thirsty for knowledge and eager asking Sebastian to teach her English.

"I will gladly do that my lady, even though normally it is the tutor's duty..." He responded at her request and then both turned their disapproving glance towards Selina.

"Seeing that this particular tutor has inability in learning a language as simple as German, I doubt she could teach one." The girl whispered to him and he could only nod agreeing with a really disappointed look on his face.

Selina saw it and even though did not understand what they were saying; her instinct told her it was not something really good for her person. As soon as Sebastian informed her of the girl's desire, her suspicion became certainty and pride along stubbornness, made her begin studying German anew with greater enthusiasm and determination. That, as well as her research on deciphering the riddle of Sieglinde's healing potions, were the only things filling up the seemingly endless days, since the women from the village were there to assist the Phantomhive servants in the house chores Sebastian had assigned them, and her one and only student was still locked up in the prison of his mind permitting only Finny at his side.

Truth is that Finny's duty was the heaviest, as the sensitive and sentimental adolescent could not bear watching his master being reduced to a small crying boy, terrified by unknown dark shadows clouding his brilliant mind. Finny did not really care that his master was three years younger than him and under different circumstances they could be equals and Finny could even tease the younger one, because to him that boy was his only and absolute master. More mature and serious than what he should be at his age, commanding a house, a toy company and above all carrying on his small shoulders a really heavy name and title as Earl Phantomhive, Queen Victoria's Watchdog.

For Finny, that child fighting to prove the world he was a grown man was indeed a man; a man that took him by the hand and gave him a new life along with a new name. Seeing him now huddled up in the bed's sheets crying while saying he did not deserve to be protected, was indeed more than what the young gardener could bear. He was more than relieved to take back to the kitchen the dishes of the barely touched breakfast, when Sebastian brought Sieglinde into the room to examine young master. Sebastian was silent as always and that made Ciel not notice him; that was the only way for allowing Sieglinde approach him.