Chapter 48: The Tutor, Tricked and Treated

"Where is Selina? I do not think I saw or heard her at all this evening." Ciel asked Sebastian a couple of days after his Hall's opening. Master and butler were discussing new additions of merchandise and when finished, the boy realised that... the room was oddly quiet, something very rare ever since the blond tutor joined their team.

"Oh, I sent her back to check on the others, on the manor and start preparations for Halloween, my lord." The butler smiled at the obviously displeased look on his master's face. "I believe it is wise to begin preparations for the Phantomhive domain's annual Halloween celebration."

"Oh, right... I suppose it is already October, is it not? Do we have to do something no matter what? We are quite full with the Hall and Lizzie..." The boy tried to avoid it, as he never found any special meaning in that celebration.

"Still, this is a traditional event that we cannot neglect. The House of Phantomhive governs many practitioners of agriculture; therefore Halloween is a critical event for us, as it is a holiday that also encompasses the harvest festival." The butler said quite monotonously, like he was reciting something.

Ciel sighed. "What is so appealing about Halloween, anyway? Everyone just makes a fuss over these menial games, like carving wheat flour, snap-dragon and bobbing apples, where you cannot even win or lose." He seemed really annoyed.

Suddenly Sebastian was leaning close to him with an all serious face, once again invading the personal space of the boy. "I, too, do not understand how you humans find amusement in such games. However! What I do know is that the governor's most pressing concern is the morale of the citizens under his jurisdiction. As such, you must carry out your duties as their lord without fail."

"So, you are saying I do not have a say in the matter." The boy sighed, accepting his fate once again and then pinned the butler with his eye in a very... lordly manner. "Sebastian, this is an order! Return to the manor and begin making preparations for the Halloween celebration!"

The demon struggled to maintain his cool demeanour and keep a smile plastered on his face instead of simply... breaking the brat's neck as he felt the urge to do. "My lord... you can say it as sternly as you like... but it is quite obvious you are just trying to push the work onto someone else... In case you have forgotten, you have already given me an enormous list of things to continue working on and regulating for the smooth operation of the Funtom Music Hall, remember?" Keep smiling, that was what he was telling himself.

"Oh, and here I thought you would easily be able to handle such a minor side job, especially since you have Selina's assistance too... Hmm, perhaps I overestimated the capabilities of a Phantomhive household butler?" The boy was saying with irony in his eye and voice, and really amused by breaking his demon's nerves.

"...No, not at all. Your wish is my command. Consider it done, my lord." The butler finally said and bowed...

Oh, how much he wanted to kill the boy right then and there, not really caring about his meal, but he was proud of his self-control, therefore he could not fail now. Thankfully, he would meet his witch in the manor and she would surely take away his stress with a hug and a kiss. Unbelievable as it may sound, the demon felt quite stressed these past weeks due to the grand opening, since he had been literally running around twenty four hours a day, with not even a moment of relief just by kissing Selina on the cheek. He sighed deeply and went on to the next house chore.

{~}

Mey-Rin and Finny excitedly ran out of the manor's door as soon as they heard the sound of a galloping horse and saw it coming. Finny, laughing happily, almost jumped on the rider as the person dismounted, but at the last moment remembered what the black haired butler was always telling him and managed to stop himself.