Chapter five: The Gigantomachy

꧁ ❃ ❃ ꧂ ꧁ ❃ ❃ ꧂ ꧁ ❃ ❃ ꧂꧁ ❃ ❃ ꧂ ꧁ ❃ ❃ ꧂ ꧁ ❃ ❃ ꧂

I'm sorry for disobeying you.... Forgive me.....

꧁ ❃ ❃ ꧂ ꧁ ❃ ❃ ꧂ ꧁ ❃ ❃ ꧂ ꧁ ❃ ❃ ꧂ ꧁ ❃ ❃ ꧂ ꧁ ❃ ❃ ꧂

The next day Atropos tried to attend to her duties before going to the library. She tried everything to distract herself somehow, because she had not heard anything more from Hades until now. Once in the library, she continued to search through the books she hadn't read yesterday. However, her thoughts kept drifting to the black shelf and Tartarus. Hades must have the key in his workroom.... While she didn't want to disappoint him, she couldn't shake the feeling that she needed to know more about it. She finally got up and decided to look for the key in his workroom.

In the meantime, Hades had already been arrived in Valhalla for a while and was talking to his brothers about the attack. "We are at war with the giants! We must act quickly before many gods are harmed!" said Zeus, gnashing his teeth. "My lord, the giants are strong, but our troops are holding up very well," said Hermes, who was dressed like a chief officer. Ares, who took part in the fighting, sat in his chair, slightly wounded, and roared, "Father, they are strong! But we are stronger!"

Hades, who sat crossed legged and serene in his chair, contorted his face and looked visibly annoyed by Ares' yelling. Adamas, on the other hand, bounced back and forth in his chair, laughing at Zeus. "Well, what are you going to do now, O' great chief of Olympus!" Poseidon, his gaze downward as always disinterested, ignored Adamas' taunting of Zeus. Hades also said nothing. Zeus thought for a moment and said, "Hermes, mobilize more troops!" Hermes nodded and walked out the door.

After the meeting, Hades left the room and walked down the corridor. On the way, he encountered Hermes. "My lord, one moment please," Hermes said and bowed. "What is it, Hermes?" asked Hades, resting his hand on his hip. "My lord, I wanted to ask about Atropos' well-being for a moment," looking slightly concerned. "She is well and safe," Hades replied. "I'm glad to hear that. Is she still having those nightmares?" Hades nodded as Hermes continued to talk, "...On the battlefield I picked up a rumor,...Gaia, is said to have been searching Valhalla for a Goddess of Fate who can see into the future.... I don't think I need to tell you that Gaia was obviously looking for Atropos."

Hades widened his gaze. "What could Gaia want with her?" "I'm afraid I don't know that either, my lord, but it must have to do with her ability to see into the future. Perhaps Gaia would like to use this to influence the outcome of the battle in her favor...." Hermes replied, now looking even more concerned. Hades assured Hermes that he would take care of the matter and protect Atropos at all costs. "I'll take care of it," he said and went on. Hermes bowed and thanked him.

꧁ ❃ ❃ ꧂ ꧁ ❃ ❃ ꧂ ꧁ ❃ ❃ ꧂

Atropos sneaked into Hades' workroom. She opened the door quietly and hoped that none of Hades' servants noticed anything. She closed the door behind her and let her eyes wander around the room:

Hades' clean workroom reflected his elegant and neat character. The books on the shelf were all sorted by subject and his desk was tidy. Everything was spotless in every way. She shook her head and tried to refocus on the reason she was here. I need to find the key.... Forgive me Hades.... She began her search.

First she looked in the drawers of the desk, then in the shelves... but the key was nowhere to be seen. She paused for a moment and tried to focus. If I were Hades and I didn't want someone to find something easily, where would I hide it? She realized that Hades would never hide something where obviously everyone would normally look. He would rather think of something elaborate to hide the key.