Chapter Four

[THIS IS THE 2017 VERSION OF HTM! THE 2024 REWRITTEN VERSION IS NOW AVAILABLE!!!]

CHAPTER FOUR:

My room was awfully cold when I woke up—no freezing. I knew that the heat was on and when I woke up in the middle of the night, I had to change into something lighter because it was so warm. Now it felt like the arctic.

I pushed the covers back and slid out of bed. Moving felt like pins and needles and the journey towards the door felt like a trek across Antarctica. I grabbed for the doorknob but there wasn't one. To make panic me even more, my mom started calling for me down the hall. It wasn't a regular call, no, it sounded like she was hurt or in danger.

"Mom!" I slammed my hand against the door.

"Hailey!"

"Mom!" I could feel the tears burning in my eyes. I tried to pry the door open by slipping my fingers in the crack but nothing worked.

I heard my mom repeatedly calling for me from somewhere in the house. I was doing everything I could think of to get the door open but nothing worked. Then I heard a loud scream and then silence. White noise filled my ears and I felt hot tears running down my face as I banged on the door harder.

  "It's no use," Someone voice behind me. I spun around and was met with a silhouette of a boy. "You're stuck in here."

He approached me at a fast pace and I pressed my back further against the wood of the door. I had forgotten that there was no escape. Then, he was mere inches from me but I was so terrified of him that I couldn't bring myself to look at him. I felt his hand come up and began caressing my cheek.

"He doesn't deserve you," He hissed.

I trembled horribly, trying to pull away from him. His hand grabbed my jaw tightly, forcing my head in his direction. His grip was so tight I was afraid he'd attempt to break my jaw. His hands were also ice cold, making it hard to mask my chattering teeth.

"Are you afraid, Hailey?" He asked me.

My eyes snapped open. What did he want from me?  Was this the guy I saw in homeroom? I dared myself to look at him and it was confirmed when those piercing blue eyes stared intensely into my brown ones. A spine rattling tingle ran through my body from where his hand contacted the skin of my chin. My eyes started watering from the fear I had of him and there was no doubt in my mind that he knew I was scared of him.

"I won't hurt you," He says. "At least not now anyway."

"W-What do you w-want?" I shook.

"You of course." He smirks.

"S-Sorry, not for sale." I said in a failed attempt to come off as brave. He chuckled.

I couldn't just stand here and wait for him to do something. I had to get out of this before I ended up dead. He obviously wasn't sure he would go through with it because if he had, he would've done it already. I took his hesitation as my opportunity to muster some courage and push him as hard as I could away from me. He was caught off guard and stumbled back into my desk chair, growling out of frustration. I should've ran. I didn't know why I didn't. He got up with a frown, tossing the chair away.

"And here I thought this would be too easy." He says. "I wasn't going to drag it out either. It would've been quick and painless."

He had slammed me against the wall, hard.

"Quick yes, painless. . ." He grabbed my neck, digging his nails in. I let out a small cry of pain. "It depends on you."

I shot my knee up into his gut, loosening his grip enough for me to break free again. With the lack of a doorknob, I couldn't escape that way. The only other exit was the window. Considering I had no choice, I rushed over to it as fast as I could but he caught my ankle. I fell hard to the floor, groaning in pain. He recovered quicker than I did and had pinned me down with my arms pinned with one hand above my head.

"Hailey!" I heard someone call.

It sounded like Alex but my mind refused to believe it was him. All I could see were the blue eyes that belonged to my attempted murderer and the cold hand that still wrapped around my wrists.

"Hailey," I heard again. "Hailey it's alright. You're okay."

I was crying, shaking my head saying that I wasn't. I kept repeating "he's going to kill me" until I found myself wheezing from the overwhelming fear inside of me. I could feel warm arms wrapped around me, the contact bringing that same tingle from earlier came running up my spine again. Still scared out of my mind, I tried to jerk free but their hold was tight in a protective way.

"Hailey you're okay." They told me. "It's alright."

I wore myself out and fell limp in their arms, breathing in gasps. I was crying now, tears blurring my vision enough for me not to be able to realize that I was in my room and there was no chilly atmosphere. There was a doorknob and the chair wasn't knocked over. This was reality. I was safe.