Chapter Five

[THIS IS THE 2017 VERSION OF HTM! THE 2024 REWRITTEN VERSION IS NOW AVAILABLE!!!]

CHAPTER FIVE:

I didn't sleep much the rest of the night. Every time I closed my eyes, I could still see those blue ones and I could still feel the chill running up and down my spine. I had to keep telling myself that it wasn't really happening and that I was okay, however, I knew I wasn't. I never had lucid dreams like these however; something told me that they weren't just dreams. That last night was very much real.

I examined my wrists and sure enough, there was a faint bruise in the shape of a hand on my skin.

A soft knock on the door caused me to jump and quickly pull my sleeves down my arms. My mother's head then poked into the room.

"Hey you," She says. She comes to sit on the edge of my bed and examines me. "How'd you sleep?"

Should I lie? Should I tell her that I think someone came into my room and tried to attack me?

"I slept okay," I lied.

She placed a hand on my now shaking ones.

"It was just a nightmare," I looked down at my hands, tugging with the loose thread. "That's all."

"Do you want to talk about it?" She asks.

I could tell her everything. She is my mother; she'd know how to help. I shook my head. I couldn't bring myself to tell her. It was just a bad dream, nothing real about it. The bruise could've been from holding on to myself too tight out of fear, it's happened before.

"Well, if you want to talk about it you can come to me any time." She tells me. She kisses my forehead, probably knowing I was lying but she didn't question it any further. Then should've been the time to ask about the move but I couldn't get the words out.

  My mother then made her way over to the door to leave but stopped in her tracks. "Alex is downstairs. If you don't want to see him, I can send him home."

Why was Alex here?

"No, that's fine." I say. "I'll come down."

She nods and leaves the room.

Was Alex here because he was actually there last night? Was he here because he wanted to see me? Shouldn't he be at school instead of visiting me? None of this made any sense. Why was Alex here?

I came downstairs to find Alex sat on the couch with an ice pack placed over his eyes. Even from where I was standing, I could see the ugly bruises on his cheek and arm. This concluded that last night's events had happened and someone really did try to kill me.

"Hailey is that you?" He asked, not removing the ice pack.

I cleared my throat, "Yeah, it's me." I joined him on the couch, staring intensely at the bruise, questioning everything all over again.

"How are you?" I heard him ask.

"I'm okay," I replied. "A little tired."

My mother came into the room, purse in hand.

"I'm off to work now. Late shift tonight so I won't be home for a while. You two take care of each other." She kissed me once again on the forehead and then left the house.

I wasted no time in asking about last night.

"I was going to ask you that same question." Alex says.

"Were you there or was I dreaming?"

"I was trying to calm you down," He says.

"Why were you even here?"