Chapter Twenty

[THIS IS THE 2017 VERSION OF HTM! THE 2024 REWRITTEN VERSION IS NOW AVAILABLE!!!]

CHAPTER TWENTY:

When I first woke up, my mother was hovering over me, replacing a wet cloth on my forehead. There were voices in the background explaining what had happened. Apparently, we were attacked but we made it out with minor injuries. The next time I woke up, my mother and the wet cloth were gone.

"You're awake." A voice came from beside me. It was Luke. He was sitting in my desk chair across the room. "How do you feel?"

  I sat up slowly, feeling a wave of dizziness wash over me.

"I'm okay, I guess." I reply.

"That's good." He sighs. "Do you remember anything that happened before you passed out?"

  I relayed what I could remember. Judging by his expression, I didn't leave much out. Or at least I thought I hadn't.

  "Do you remember after Jason came after you?" He asks.

"Jason?"

"The blond, Australian dude." He says.

I shook my head. I tried to think back on it but it only made my head throb.

  "Well, you kind of--"

  "I told you to tell me when she woke up." Nathan spoke from the doorway. His arms were crossed and he wore a frown. "How do you feel?"

"She's fine." Luke answers for me. "And why do I have to take orders from you, huh?"

Nathan sighed deeply. Then, a devilish smirk appeared on his face.

"Have you told her yet?"

Luke stiffened. "About what?"

"About the girl." Nathan smirks. "About why you're here."

Luke glared. "I was going to eventually."

I looked between them noticing the obvious disapproval of each other. Knowing Luke's child like behavior and Nathan's obvious low tolerance levels, I'd say the ride back home was anything but pleasant. Also, Nathan's taunting was enough to prove my theory.

"Eventually?" Nathan cocked his head to the side. "Don't you think now would be a good time? You know, considering today's events?"

Luke narrowed his eyes, "I said I'd tell her."

"When though?" Nathan grinned.

"I am still in the room, you know?" I deadpan. Both boys looked at me as if caught acting out by their mother. 'You seriously forgot?"

Nathan turned his attention back towards Luke.

"Tell her."

"Not yet."

"Tell me what?" I interject.

"Luke's a hunter tracking down your friend, Sammie, who just happens to be a werewolf causing a bit of trouble for his colleagues." Nathan explained. "However, rookie here got caught snooping around by the two guys that attacked you today. Basically, he almost got you killed because he completely didn't heed the definition of discreet."

Luke visibly sunk in the chair.

"Is that true?" I ask Luke.

"It'd be hard to make all of that up, Hales." He says.

"I didn't believe him at first but it made sense when I put it all together." Nathan says.

"W-What do you mean by that?"