Chapter Thirteen

[THIS IS THE 2017 VERSION OF HTM! THE 2024 REWRITTEN VERSION IS NOW AVAILABLE!!!]

CHAPTER THIRTEEN:

I spent most of the night doing research on my family history but came up short when I was faced with the Wikipedia page for my family surname. All I could conclude on my family is that Percy Spencer invented the microwave.

"That's something!" Phoebe said through the phone. "He's changed so many lives with one invention. Imagine having to reheat pizza the same way you made them."

I shook my head with a laugh, "That's not the point Phoebe." I say. "There has to be more than just that."

"I'm sure there is but do you really think snooping around is the way to go?" She asks. "Just ask your mom again, or maybe your dad since it is his family."

"I would but my mom is serious about me not finding out." I tell her. "She's even taken it as far as locking the basement door."

"Then it must be really serious, Hales." Phoebe says. "Maybe it's best to just leave it alone."

She and I both knew I was too stubborn to do that. I was going to get to the bottom of this. It was my family too and Aremus looked exactly like me, it was strange. It was stranger to see my mom's reaction. Something was up and the answers were on my own property.

"Hey, have you spoken to Sammie recently?" Phoebe asked.

"Not really, is everything okay?" The last I spoke to her was on my birthday but even then, we didn't really speak.

"She's been acting strange lately." Phoebe explains. "The guys and I asked about it but she shut us down and hasn't talked to any of us since."

"I remember seeing her and Logan talking," I say. "They didn't seem to be having a pleasant conversation."

"They haven't been getting along lately, I'm not surprised." She chuckles. "Those two can't last a minute together before going at it."

That would explain the hostility. I wanted to say.

Before we could continue or conversation, the doorbell rang downstairs.

"I was wondering," Phoebe said as I descended down the stairs. "Who was that guy you were with the other night? He seemed really fond of you."

  "I can hear the smirk in your voice, Phoebe," I chuckle. I felt the heat rising to my cheeks at the mention of Alex. I remember I was struggling maintaining my balance so I didn't notice anything he may have been doing. Phoebe was more aware of things than I was so I can take her word for it. "His name is Alex."

"Cute!" She squealed. "You're gonna have to introduce us next time I come up."

"I'm sure this is him at the door, maybe you two can talk."

"Oh so you guys visit each other on the weekends, that's cute."

"He practically lives across the street from me." I laugh.

"Goals,"

I pulled the door open without checking first. Instead of seeing Alex like I expected, I was met with Sammie standing on the other side of the door.

"S-Sammie?" I froze. "What are you doing here?"

"Sammie? She's there?" Phoebe called through the phone. "Tell her we're worried about her! Tell her her parents are looking for her!"

"You ran away from home?" I questioned.

"Hang up the phone," Sammie said quietly.

"Yes she ran away!" Phoebe shouts. "I'm calling Logan now, tell her to stay where she is."