Chapter Seven

[THIS IS THE 2017 VERSION OF HTM! THE 2024 REWRITTEN VERSION IS NOW AVAILABLE!!!]

CHAPTER SEVEN:

No matter how many times Alex told me I'd be fine on my own, I was still overly nervous coming into school today. Everyone's eyes were on me and that only increased my never ending paranoia.

I made my way to my homeroom, sitting down in my usual seat. I was sitting in my section all alone due to the many absences we were going to have. I suppose that all parents had the same idea Alex's mom had about post-full moons. It was almost a ghost town in here.

By the time the bell rang, the class ended up being only a dozen people and we had a substitute that looked more of a model than a teacher. She had long blonde hair and big blue eyes and clearly loved the attention the males were giving her. I seemed to be the only one uninterested in her efforts but then again, I was the only girl here.

As the substitute got into the lesson, someone came into the classroom. A boy with dark hair. His tardiness wasn't my concern so I busied myself with listening to what the sub was assigning us to do.

"Everyone pair up and complete the worksheet by the end of class." She said and then went to pass out the papers.

"Do you mind being my partner?" I looked up and met crystal blue eyes that triggered flashbacks to the lucid nightmare I had last week.

"Yes," I immediately said.

"Yes?" He questioned.

"Yes." I said firmly.

He sat down anyway, "What do you mean yes? I don't see anyone."

"Well, I don't want to work with you," I told him, attempting to start on my own.

"May I ask why that is?" He says.

"I just don't okay!" I shout, gaining the attention of the class. I assured the sub that I was fine even though I wasn't. The boy beside me, he looked exactly like they boy who tried to kill me in my dream. His eyes gave him away and that was all I needed to know. There was no doubt in my mind that it was him.

"Okay then," He sighed. "I don't know what I've done wrong but—"

"Why'd you do it?" I cut him off.

"What?"

"Why'd you do it?" I looked at him. He wore a confused expression that I believed was just an act.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." He says.

I had this gross feeling inside of me that made me want to believe he was being honest. Even so, I don't believe he would own up to it even if I had all the evidence to prove it was him that night. He could've been afraid of me but then again, if it was him, he didn't give off that impression when he slammed me to the floor.

"Lying won't help, you know?" I tell him.

He frowns, "I don't know what you're talking about Hailey."

"How do you know my name?"

"You wrote it on your paper." He says. I look down at my sheet. I had. "Whatever you think I did to you, sorry, but I have no clue what you're talking about." He tells me.

I roll my eyes and decided to work through the assignment by myself the best way I could. He stayed sat beside me and stared at me the entire class, probably hoping I'd let it go. How was I supposed to let something like that go? Someone attacked me and tried to kill me! That's not something I can easily drop and accept his apology.