Chapter Twenty-Seven

[THIS IS THE 2017 VERSION OF HTM! THE 2024 REWRITTEN VERSION IS NOW AVAILABLE!!!]

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN:

"You're pathetic, you know that?"

My eyes flew open as I gasped for air. My chest felt tight. It felt like I had been holding my breath for a long time only, I couldn't remember why I would.

"They're risking their lives for you again."

I sat up slowly. Looking around, there was no one in sight. There was nothing surrounding me. Nothing but white void.

"You're pathetic."

In front of me sat another me. She resembled me and mirrored my movements every time. I inched closer slowly. Sitting face to face, I noticed the only difference: she had gold irises.

"You're pathetic." She repeated.

I jumped back. "W-What?"

"You're pathetic."

"N-No I'm not."

"They're risking their lives for you, again."

"W-What am I supposed to do?" I bowed my head. It's not like I asked for them to.

"You're pathetic."

I narrowed my eyes. "You already said that." I frown. "Three times now."

"Help them."

"How?" I ask. "I can't do anything special." At least not that I know of.

"You're—"

"Pathetic, I know." I growl.

She smirks. "Just accept it."

She came closer, holding my face in her hands. Her gold eyes stared into my brown ones intensely.

"Accept me."

A familiar feeling crept up my spine as heat warmed my insides. The warmth was comforting when it first spread through my body. Then it suddenly became an uncomfortable burning that consumed my entire body. I wanted to pull away but the Other Me held me into place.

"Accept me and you won't have to question your abilities." She says. "We'll kill those who harm what's ours."

I grabbed her by the wrists, digging my nails in them to loosen her grip on me. Her eyes widened in fear as the realization hit her.

"What are you doing?" She hisses.

"I won't kill anyone." I say.

She smirks, trying to grab my face again. "It's in your nature to kill."

"I won't kill!" I repeat. "I won't become like her."

"Her?" Her smirk grew.

I looked her dead in the eye.

"I won't become like Aremus."

Her smirk grew even wider.

"But you're afraid you will."

Her nails dug into the skin on my wrist. She drew blood, smearing it.

"People will die soon." She says. "You can't stop that from happening. You can't stop your nature, Hailey."

I jerked my arm back, holding it against my chest closely. I noticed that my broken skin quickly healed. I frowned.

"People like you can't save anyone. There will be death in your wake and that's something you cannot change."

"Don't you think I know that?" I growled, my eyes watering. "Don't you think that's why I am afraid?"

I didn't want to think about people dying because of me. I wanted to keep everyone safe because that's what they've been trying to do for me. I knew what being a hybrid came with. I understood people wouldn't accept me as anything until I proved that I wasn't going to be of harm. It was hard with all the attacks and I knew they'd get worse but I wanted to prove myself even to the people that wanted me dead.

"I will protect them."

"You will kill them."

"No." I glared. "I will protect them."

"How?"

"I-I don't know but I will do whatever it takes."

"Whatever it takes?" She questions.

A tear fell.

I knew my nature. I knew what could happen to me if I chose to fight back. However, this was my fight. This is happening because of me so I can't just sit around and wait for it to pass. It won't. If I make it through this, I know there will be ten times the danger ahead of me. I know I will have to fight to prove I am not a danger to these people. I want to protect the ones I love and I don't want to lose anyone else either. So if that means taking whatever beating I may get, so be it.

The other me smirked widely. She knew my decision but she too was prepared to fight for what she wanted and that was control. I couldn't let her have that. If I did, things really would be hell on earth.

"Whatever it takes."