New Old Friends

We'd been standing outside the building for over  an hour when the firefighters told us it was safe to go back in. Apparently someone was smoking in their apartment and it set off the alarm. I was pissed because the building had a strict no smoking inside policy. So now it was almost 5am, and instead of sleeping, I was struggling to get an overtired baby to sleep because someone couldn't go out onto their balcony to smoke.

It wasn't until after 6 that I finally got Tori to sleep, and at that point there was no way I was getting any more sleep so I made some coffee. I sat down at the table and a few minutes later I got a text.

'Awake?'

Logan's POV-

A little before 7am, I found myself knocking on Rory's door. I have no idea what I was thinking but living down the hall from her made me realize that I definitely still had feelings for her. I couldn't actually start anything with her though, could I?" She had a daughter. It wasn't as simple as it was 10 years ago. Honor has 4 kids and I have friends with kids, I've seen how much responsibility it is. Having a relationship with Rory would also mean having a relationship with her daughter. I didn't know if I was ready for that or even if I wanted it.

After the fire alarm went off I couldn't sleep. I decided to just get some work done. Around 6am I got hungry, but I did really have anything, so I walked to this bagel place a few blocks away from my apartment. I couldn't stop thinking about Rory. While we were outside I couldn't help but watch her. It was a rough night for everyone, I couldn't imagine having to take care of a baby on top of everything that was going on. So I texted her to see if she was awake, and offered to bring her a bagel.

She opened the door an invited me in. "You really didn't have to-"

"I wanted to" I said before she finished her sentence.

She just smiled. We sat down and caught up while we ate. After a while we got into deeper questions than just 'how's work?' We talked about me for a little while, and then I got curious.

"Can I ask you something? And you don't have to answer if you don't want to"

"That makes me think I'm not gonna want to" she chuckled "but you can ask whatever you want"

"Why did your marriage end?" I asked her. I couldn't help it, I wanted to know. Maybe it was a little intrusive, but I'd basically just spilled my guts to her, so I figured it was ok to ask and if she didn't want to tell me, it was fine.

She tensed up a little. "You want the long version or she short version?"

"Which one's better?"

"They both pretty much suck"

"Alright, then it's up to you"

"Things were good for a while. We were together for 4 years when we got married. About a year after we got married the company he worked for got shut down and he had to find a new job. He was working for a tech company but he wasn't happy. He went from one of the nicest people I've ever met, to this depressed, angry asshole who I barely recognized. He would come home, and the smallest thing would piss him off and he'd start yelling. It wasn't even me that he was mad at, but I was the only one there so I was the one he took it out on. It didn't happen all at once though. It was slow, over the course of almost a year. Until one night, he knocked his phone into the sink while he was doing the dishes. When he couldn't get it to turn back on he got pissed and started yelling. It was really late and I was worried that he was bothering the neighbors so I asked him to calm down and he threatened to kill me. I just left the apartment. That was it for me, I was done. I've only been back there once since then. With my mom, to get my stuff. I moved in here and 6 months later we signed the divorce papers. Tori is the result of a very, very weak moment that I'm not proud of, when my grandpa was in the hospital"