II

ִֶָ 𓂃⊹ ִֶָ

But how? How did he live? Gandalf fell in Moria, yet he was standing in front of us, unharmed. "It cannot be." Aragorn spoke beside me, shocked. "Forgive me, I mistook you for Saruman." Legolas knelt down, asking pardon of the Wizard who narrowly missed one of his arrows. "I am Saruman. Or rather, Saruman as he should." Gandalf spoke calmly. "You fell." Aragorn stated, still with wide eyes.

"Through fire... and water. From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought with the Balrog of Morgoth. Until at last, I threw down my enemy, and smote his ruin upon the mountainside. Darkness took me and I strayed out of thought and time. Stars wheeled overhead and every day was as long as a life age of the Earth. But it was not the end. I felt life in me again." He paused to spare us a look. "I've been sent back, until my task is done." I watched him, still frozen in place. Half of me glad and grateful he was living, the other upset that he would have to leave again. He was one of the only guardians I ever had.

"Gandalf." "Gandalf?" The wizard paused again. "Yes, that was what they used to call me. Gandalf the Grey. That was my name." He smiled at us all. "I am Gandalf the White. And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide."

ִֶָ 𓂃⊹ ִֶָ

We continued on again through the forest, Gandalf leading our path. "One stage of your journey is over. Another begins. You must travel to Edoras with all speed." He commanded. "Edoras? That is no short distance!" Gimli shouted. He was right, and with no horses, we would be too slow. "We hear of trouble in Rohan. It goes ill with the king." Aragorn softly spoke, remembering our conversation with the horse-man. "Yes, and it will not be easily cured." Gandalf said, turning to the ranger.

"Then we have run all this way for nothing? Are we to leave those poor Hobbits here, in this horrid, dark, dank tree-infested-" The trees groaned at the words that fell from the dwarfs mouth. "I would not insult them, if I were you, Master Gimli." I scolded him, laughing at his reaction. "I mean, charming... quite charming forest." He changed his words.

"It was more the mere chance that brought Merry and Pippin to Fangorn. A great power has been sleeping here for many long years. The coming of Merry and Pippin will be like the falling of small stones that starts an avalanche in the mountains." Gandalf warned. "In one thing you have not changed, dear friend." Gandalf questioned the ranger. "You still speak in riddles." They both laughed "A thing is about to happen that has not happened since the Elder Days." He paused and looked towards me. "The Ents are going to wake up... and find that they are strong." Gandalf whispered, and I nodded.

"Strong? Oh, thats good." Gimli stated. "So stop your fretting, Master Dwarf." Gandalf raised his voice to the small being. Merry and Pippin are quite safe. In fact, they are far safer than you are about to be." Gandalf shouted. I'm sure the Ents would keep them both safe.

"This new Gandalf's more grumpy than the old one." Gimli frowned and I snickered.

ִֶָ 𓂃⊹ ִֶָ

We had reached the end of the forest, and I watched as Gandalf began whistling. Moments later, a stunning, white horse began hallowed towards us from across the plain. "That is one of the Mearas, unless my eyes are cheated by some spell." Legolas stated, watching the horse intently. "Shadowfax. He is the lord of all horses... and has been my friend through many dangers." Gandalf smiled and stroked the mane of his steed.

Mounting our horses again, we continued on, admiring the stretching peaks, and the vast expanses of Middle Earth.

ִֶָ 𓂃⊹ ִֶָ