Chapter 9 - Down the Rabbit Hole

Tyler was already gone as Faye held her word to free Klaus. Surprisely, he went with Faye and Marley to her home and helped them. Later, Caroline came in as she needed help with their friends. She was on the phone. “Tell me you're not serious.”

“I wish I weren't.” Elena told her. “When we got back from looking for Jeremy, Shane and Bonnie were gone too. Shane needs Bonnie to cast a spell on Jeremy's tattoo in order to find the cure, and he managed to sneak them both out from under our noses.”

Caroline frowned. “Well, where's Damon in all this?”

Elena sighed. “We had an argument. I thought he was just taking a walk, but then when we went to the beach, we saw signs of a struggle.”

“Meaning what?” Caroline asked. Marley frowned.

“Meaning somebody probably jumped him and then grabbed him!” Elena replied, shouting.

“Well, that’s just great is it.” Marley groaned. “Sometimes, why can’t things just be easy?”

Faye looked at her mother. “Mama, you know things aren’t easy.”

“I know.” Marley sighed.

Caroline frowned. “Do you think Shane took him?”

“No, I mean, he's not strong enough to take Damon on, even with the element of surprise. He must have someone, or at least a few someone’s helping him.” Elena replied.

“I'm so sorry. I wish I was there to help.” Caroline comment.

“Well, maybe there's something you can do from home.” Elena told her.

“We will help also.” Marley added.

“Anything. Tell me.” Caroline told her, seriously.

Elena spoke over the phone. “So Shane's looking for the cure. We think we can find him. We have pictures of Jeremy's tattoo, but we just can't translate the map.”

“Unless you get the Hunter's Sword from Klaus.” Caroline added, looking at Klaus. He smirked. The others didn’t know he was free already.

“Exactly.” Elena comment.

Just then, Rebekah spoke up. “He'll never give up the sword.”

“Yeah, but if anyone's gonna get him to give it up, it's Faye.” Stefan told them.

Rebekah sighed. “He will never give up the sword, not even for Faye. He's terrified we'll use the cure against him to make him mortal, and even if he wasn't, he wouldn't want any of us to derive a moment's worth of happiness from being human.”

“Well, maybe he doesn't have to give it up. I mean, Klaus is stuck in Elena's house by Bonnie's spell. He can't go anywhere. There's only so many places you can hide a three-foot piece of metal.” Stefan told them.

Caroline glanced at the others. “I'll find it, don't worry. Just e-mail me photos of Jeremy's tattoo. I'll find the sword, and I'll call you back.”

“Thank you, Caroline.” Elena told her.

“Bye.” Caroline hung up.

Klaus smirked. “Need my help with anything, love?”

“Nope.” Caroline stride out of the house without looking at Klaus, leaving him looking slightly amused.

“Right.” Marley comment. “Now that she is gone. Klaus you will help us?”

“Faye freed me and you didn’t do anything these past months to hurt me.” Klaus replied to her.

“That’s good enough though.” Marley comment.

Klaus smirked. “Faye agreed to go on a date with me.”

“I know, after this is done, you can have your date.” Marley comment. “Just don’t hurt my daughter...”

“I would never.” Klaus interrupted her.

“Cause she van hurt you double.” Marley finished.

Klaus face went wide. Faye spoke up. “Mama, I’m still in the room, so don’t talk about me as if I’m not there. Goes for you too.” She glanced at Klaus. He nodded.

--------------------

Klaus showed them the sword and  unwrapped the leather on the top of the sword, revealing some sort of turning device. Marley walked over. “Its a dead language, I’m guessing.” She looked at the device.

Klaus nodded. “Qetsiyah's native tongue, I'm guessing. You know, even if you had the best dictionary in the world, it could take days to translate.” He sat down. “Perhaps weeks. ‘In bas so-teen-too ara-ma-eet.’”

Faye frowned. “What does that mean?”

Klaus grinned. “If only you spoke Aramaic.”

“Right, so what translate it to?” Faye pointed at the device.

Klaus spoke Aramaic, then the English translation. “Requires a powerful witch and a hunter in full bloom.”

“Right, i’m glad that i’m not there.” Marley comment.

“Me too.” Faye added. “I don’t like the drama."

Then, Klaus read the cryptex. “Silas rests on the far side, the means of his destruction at hand.” He glanced at the pictures of Jeremy's tattoo on the computer screen. Then he did some turns and spoke in Aramaic.

Faye frowned. “What does it mean?”

“There is only one cure.” Klaus replied.

“Good luck with that.” Marley muttered.

----------------
Later, Caroline got back. Tyler skipped town. Then, Marley called Rebekah. “Hello?”

“Hey, it's Marley. We have the translation of the tattoo.” Marley replied. “We're emailing you pictures of the map and instructions right now.”

“Got it. Thanks.” Rebekah told her.

Klaus spoke up. “Actually, it was me.”

Rebekah was surprised. “Nik, you helped?”

“You sound so surprised, little sister.” Klaus replied.

“Shouldn't I be? I mean, you don't want me to be human. You don't want any of us to be human. Why would you help us find the cure?” Rebekah asked.

“Sibling squabble.” Faye rubbed her forehand.

“Maybe I finally realized the longer I stand in the way of what you want, the longer you'll continue to hate me. Perhaps I want my sister to finally know happiness.” Klaus replied.

Rebekah sighed. “Fool me once, shame on you; fool me a hundred times...”

Klaus interrupted her. “No more fooling. No more games. I hope you get to live, and die, as you wish.”

“So do I.” Rebekah comment.

Klaus spoke to her. “There is one more thing, Rebekah.” Caroline looked up. Klaus spoke quickly. “There is only one dose of the cure. You need to find it first and take it. It's the only way you'll...” Caroline rushed to end the call.

Marley and Faye glared at Caroline.  “Leave.” Marley spoke calmly. Caroline used her vampire speed to get away.