Chapter 10 - Stand By Me

Caroline was scrubbing the floor, Marley was clearing the kitchen when the door opens and Elena walked in, Stefan behind her carrying Jeremy’s body. Caroline stood up. “Hey, you’re home. I was trying to clean the burn mark where Kol...” She saw Stefan carrying Jeremy, his body wrapped in a blanket. “I couldn’t get the spot out.”

“Stupid kitchen.” Marley muttered as then she saw the same thing. Stefan shook his head a little at Caroline and Marley.

“Come on. Let’s get him upstairs.” Stefan followed Elena while Caroline stood immobile, shocked. Marley was shocked as well.

-------------------

Caroline was dumping a bucket of water into the sink and talked to Stefan. “How long has she been like that?”

“Ever since we found his body. She hasn’t said anything except that she’s waiting for him to wake up.” Stefan replied.

“She knows he’s dead.” Marley was straightforward.

Caroline nodded. “But he’s not going to wake up. She knows that, right?”
Stefan held a finger up to his lips to silence her. He walked over to the sink and runs the tap, using the noise to cover their conversation. “Look. Deep down, I think she has to, but we’re talking about Elena here. She feels grief more powerfully than anyone else. I think her denial is the one thing protecting her from letting it all-in.”

Caroline sighed. “But she can’t stay like that forever.”

“She really can’t.” Marley agreed.

Stefan nodded. “I know, but I don’t want to be the one to break her out of it, not until we know that Bonnie is safe, not until we get Damon over here to, you know...”

“Use the sire bond to convince her that everything is okay?” Caroline finished.

“Why?” Marley rubbed her forehand.

Stefan nodded but then Elena joined them in the kitchen. “I’m not in denial.” Stefan turned off the tap. “I know that he was supernatural, but did you see? His tattoo is gone. The tattoo had the spell that opened Silas’ chamber. Maybe it being gone means that he’s fulfilled his supernatural destiny. Maybe he’s back to normal. It’s possible, right?”

“No.” Marley replied.

Caroline sighed. “Elena..."

Elena looked at them. “It’s possible, Caroline, Marley. There’s a chance. It may be miniscule, but it’s hope and I’m gonna hold on to that hope with everything that I’ve got because there’s no way that m...” She paused. “There’s absolutely no way that my brother is dead.” She nodded and shook her head a bit. “I’m not in denial.” She turned and leaves the kitchen. Caroline, Marley and Stefan shared a look.

--------------

A little while later, Caroline was on the front porch, talking on her cell phone. “Hey. I know that I’m not supposed to be calling, but something happened, and I need to talk to you, Tyler. So please call me.” She hung up.

Stefan joined her. “Do you know where he is?”

Then, Marley joined as well. Caroline sighed. “As far away from Klaus as he can get. Klaus said he wouldn’t stop until he found him.”

“Well, Katherine’s been running from Klaus for 500 years. It’s not easy, but it’s possible. It’s probably why she stole the cure. She wants to bargain for her freedom.” Stefan told her.

“I wouldn’t see past her, that she would do it.” Marley scoffed.

Caroline sighed. “I just can’t believe after all that, the cure is just gone.”