11 - "I Needed You Too"

I'm getting ready to go round Barrett's but I get a text from Bella. I look at it.

I need you here. Now. 5:12pm.

Be there in five. 5:12pm.

I shove my phone into my jacket pocket and run to Bella's house, which was nearby. I barge in and the distant arguing I heard about a block away wasn't so quiet anymore. I rush past them to the stairs, they were too far into their argument to notice me. I walk into Bella's room and I rush over when I see her curled up into a ball, crying with her hands to her ears. I pull her into my chest and she clings onto me. "You're okay.. you're okay..." I continue to whisper until she calms down, which happens to be when the argument dials down, which also happens to be almost two hours later. At some point, we moved to her bed, her laying on my chest and I ran my fingers through her hair as I stare in front of me. I glance over at the bedside table when my phone buzzes. I pick it up and see the 10 texts from Barrett.. Barrett! Shit. "Hey, I gotta go." She sits up as I frantically grab my jacket and shove my phone into my pocket as I stand.

"Oh, okay."

"You gonna be okay?" I ask once I'm situated and I'm looking down at her.

She smiles. "Yeah." I nod and turn to leave. "Oh. Evan?" I stop and look at her. She smiles more. "Thank you." I nod again and rush out of the house, then I'm running to Barrett's house. When I get there, I go inside and pass Barrett's mum and her boyfriend in the living room but stop when his mother speaks.

"Oh, Evan. How are you, darling?"

I turn and smile at her. "I'm doing alright." I say but I'm out of breath.

"And your parents and sister?"

"We're all good."

"That's great, darling. Barrett's in his room."

I nod and turn and walk through the kitchen to get to the long hallway and I knock on Barrett's door at the end, then I go inside. He's sitting on his bed, his back to the wall and his knees to his chest. He looks at me and I say, "I'm sorry, I-I was on my way then Bella texted and she-"

He shrugs. "No worries." He says. "It's not the first time somebody forgotten about me."

I furrow my eyebrows. "She needed me." I say calmly.

"I needed you too."

"You didn't say that."

He abruptly stands from the bed and steps closer. "I didn't think I needed to!" He snaps. "I never had to say it before because you always knew."

I stare at him in a utter confusion but I couldn't lie, I was also sorta panicking. "Why are you being like this?" I ask.

"I'm tired of being alone."

"But you're not alone, you have me." I try to reassure him, but it seems to make things worse.

"Do I, Evan? Do I? Because last time I checked, you haven't been the same towards me since I stupidly told you I liked you. You said things wouldn't change between us!"

"They haven't changed..."

"But they have!" Tears fill his eyes. I don't know what to do. "You've never forgotten about me before."

I step closer. "I said I was sorry."

"I don't care about that."

"Then why are you angry at me?"

"I'm not angry, I just want to know why you're different. I want you to talk to me." I inhale deeply and I look away from him. He continues. "I want to know what's wrong." I look at him. He's staring at me with this hurt look on his face that just about made me want to, I don't know... "Please, talk to me."

It happens again, I do something without thinking, I grab Barrett's face and I go in to kiss him but luckily, I catch myself but not until our faces are inches apart. I look at him. He looks at me. It's quiet, like dreadfully quiet. "I'm sorry..." I whisper and I step back. He's still watching me, too stunned to move. I turn and run a hand down my face. "I'm so sorry." I say. Then, I feel his hands grab my face and I turn. Our lips meet. I place my hands on his sides and pull him closer, then I pull away. I stare at him, not knowing what to say or whether I should move away or kiss him again. I guess, I was like this for a while because Barrett asks,

"Was that okay?"

I stare at him for a moment before I nod and say, "..Yeah." He smiles. I glance down at his lips then back up at him. Then, I kiss him again. It's much longer than before but it's interrupted by a knock on his door. We both abruptly step back from each other and turn toward the door just as it opens.

Barrett's mum smiles at us. "Evan, will you be joining us for dinner?"

I look at Barrett then back at her. "Oh, no, I'll be heading home soon." I say.

She smiles and nods. "Okay, darling." She turns and walks out of the room. I look at Barrett and he looks at me then he looks down.

"Did you want to just stay as friends?" He reluctantly asks.

"Did you?" I ask.

He looks at me. "Maybe..." I nod. "I don't want this to ruin our friendship."

"Yeah, me neither." I admit.

"So, friends then? At least until you figure things out?"

I smile and nod. "Yeah, friends." He smiles softly at me. I pull him into a hug and he immediately falls into the hug. I smile more and hold him even closer. We pull away after a moment longer and I look at him. "I should get home." He nods. "I'll see you at school tomorrow."

"Bye.."

I smile. "Bye." I walk past him and leave the house. I honestly couldn't believe that just happened but I feel happy about it, not so stressed out. Now, that doesn't mean I have it all figured out, not at all actually, but it's a step closer to who I think I really am and to maybe what I want in life. I don't know but maybe one day, I will.