Man Down! Man Down!

"Here, turkey, turkey, turkey!"

The snow crunched below our feet as we walked further into the woods. Dusty, Mr. Mayron, and Megan wore all camo clothing to 'blend' in. The rest of us where there for mainly moral support.

I'm not typically the type to advocate for the whole hunting wild animals. But, after the sexist comment Mr. Mayron made, I'm all onboard. The very next morning is when we went to hunt some turkeys.

Megan was thrilled while I was having second thoughts. Again, all for Megan shooting just like a man— kinda, I mean, having the choice to do it is great
but I mean we're killing a turkey here. I remember bawling at thanksgiving for being told I was eating a turkey at Megan's age. And no, I have not eaten turkey since then. Call it a bit of a traumatic moment. Literally as I was chewing dad told me it was a live animal. I have not been the same since.

"Does this feel right for you?" I asked pop-pop that had been rubbing his gloved-hands together to keep warm. Even with the layers of clothes we had it was still freezing. Pop-pop shook his head muttering off about the poor turkeys.

Pretty ironic that he's the first to dig in when the thanksgiving turkey comes to the table. Every year, he speaks about the poor turkeys when he gladly buys them for la-la to cook. I suppose this is different. We're actually gonna kill the turkey we're going to have to eat.

"Are you sure this is a good idea, Sara?" Pop-pop picked up his pace to Sara's side that'd been in front of us. She held onto dad's arm as they walked behind their daughter.

"Megan is a strong independent women. If she wants to help thin the wild turkey population so that they don't starve to death in the winter, that is her right by the second amendment." Sara ranted. Clearly, she did not like Mr. Mayrons sexist comment. Props to her for sticking up on a major decision for once.

And good for her to stand up to those comments, especially when aimed to her daughter. That's what I call good parenting and giving your child the support they need.

But I do wonder, up until when did she regretted her choice, and you deliberately had to search up about hunting turkeys? Late last night— I couldn't sleep again, I caught Sara on her phone reading up on that hunting. I know— and now she does too, that hunting actually kept the economy balanced when done properly. It wasn't until then that she went to sleep peacefully. I did not but that's not the point.

I still had my concerns though even when knowing about the hunting situation and all

Adding onto Sara's comment I said, "Are you encouraging her to take a life from an innocent turkey then?"

"If Megan decided to, yes."

Dad and pop-pop also had their worried but Megan was going through this with it without their support. Which is good for her. She needs no one opinion about it.

I stood back watching Megan look through the scope out to the small flock of turkeys. I've never felt this nervous before in my life— I take that back. I have, this is about the third most nervous I felt in my life.

Dusty had made the noise call from the wooden box thingy to attract the turkeys. That's when it really this whole mess settled in.

"Let's name it!" Pop-pop quipped. Dad and I looked at one another thinking it was a great idea. Everyone knows you can't kill something you name. We began blurting out random names not being able to settle on one as the turkey got closer.

"Elijah."

To that name dad and I began repeating it until the turkey got frightened. Making a domino effect to where Mr. Mayron had been shot.

And that's how we ended up with two dead turkeys and one injured old man.

———

So the hospital wait wasn't that long. I stood at one of the black chairs besides Sara waiting for Mr. Mayron.

Megan didn't seem scarred at all so something went right at least. I can't say the same for Dusty.

   "You know he's going to be okay, right?"

Dusty pushed himself off the window he leaned on. He'd been hitting his nail— something he did when really nervous. Dusty scoffed playing it off as if he didn't care. Now I see where he gets this act from.

Dusty sighed. "I'm sorry, kid."

"Maybe, just a thought, you should go talk to him." I suggested to which he shrugged. He leaned back onto the glass looking out to the snowy scenery. "Ever thought that if that shot would've gone wrong, you and your father would've left off on the wrong foot."

Dusty glanced my way before setting his gaze back to the window. I patted his shoulder walking back to my seat. Megan had come to my side spilling every detail she felt when shooting. A bit hard to understand with the lips, but after years living with her, it was beginning to make sense.

As Megan continued, Dusty walked off to the rooms. I smiled to myself catching a glimpse to him entering his dad's room.