Chapter 1: Prologue

"

"...The eyes that see through mortal flesh, that pierce through the gloom and dirt of the world and look beyond - those eyes shall not be deceived. Those eyes will never see beauty, will never sparkle with joy, will never know love. Because how can one admire what will soon become nothing but void and dust? How can one rejoice in what is meant to inevitably end? How can one love what has an hourglass inside measuring the time which is running out grain by grain, second by second?

No, for those eyes there is nothing precious. Nothing holy. Nothing dear. Because all those eyes are meant to see, is the Dark Side of the Force, and so they are forever destined to watch life drain from the world.

Those who saw the Darkness once can never forget its swirling void. Those who saw the Darkness once shall never believe in the Light again. Their golden eyes shall never lie to them. For they are the Sith, and all they see is death..."

So reads the ancient tome in Obi-Wan's lap. A tale every youngling of every Jedi generation knows by heart. A tale meant to keep them on the right path, never let them stray away.

As a child Obi-Wan used to wonder why someone would willingly look into the abyss. Now he knows exactly why - because the abyss was staring back, with eyes full of hope and adoration, not molten gold.

Take me home, it begged. And he did.

He has seen the Dark, and now he can never forget it. It is always with him. It follows him wherever he goes. It obeys his every command. It calls him Master.

And its name is Anakin Skywalker.