Chapter 33: EPILOGUE

A dark-clad silhouette glides over the white marble floor, treading lightly and soundlessly.

A black shadow, both mournful and ominous under the lacy veil of Darkness.

Except, the shadow doesn't dissipate when it enters the sun-lit room - it steps out from the twilight of the corridor into the light-suffused chamber and, in one fluid motion, kneels before the luminous figure on the throne.

"Master."

Anakin Skywalker's eyes are glimmering with Sith gold under his black cowl, hungry and mesmerized, as they gaze upon Emperor Kenobi. "Mustafar has been destroyed, just as Your Majesty ordered."

"Well done, dear one." The Emperor smiles, inclining his head graciously and beckoning his apprentice closer.

"Now come to me. Stand beside me."

Anakin Skywalker's own words - the ones he has been whispering in the Force for as long as he can remember - are calling for him now, falling from his Master's lips and wrapping around him like a shimmering veil of starlight.

And Anakin Skywalker moves to stand in the shadow of his Master's throne, a step behind, where he belongs, melting into its Darkness with a shaky exhale of relief.

An apprentice and a guardian.

A friend and a lover.

Everything he's ever wanted to be.

And the stained-glass window depicting the battle of two mortal enemies bursts into myriads of colorful pieces swirling slowly in the air around Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi like a shattered rainbow, suspended by the touch of the Force as it swells around its children, singing for them - a joyful, triumphant anthem to honor their union.

And they stare up for a second, mesmerized by that intricate dance of color and light, and then they laugh - careless and happy - as their fingers interlace on the armrest of the throne.

The war is over.

Their war is over.

And the shards clink softly as they gather back together, making up a new picture.

A Jedi and a Sith with their blades lowered, two halos - of Light and Darkness - shining around their heads.

The Master and his apprentice - a new dawn rising above their joined hands.

The two of them in perfect, beautiful balance.

And the Light is streaming through the glass, soft and warm again, painting them both in golden hues.

And just as promised, the Darkness recedes.