Chapter 29: Revenge of the Jedi

“Ani, my darling…” The endearment is dripping off Obi-Wan’s tongue like the sweetest honey. “It’s been hours… Do you want to let go of me now?”

“No, Master.” The boy at his feet shakes his head and, as if in a transfixed, meditative state, just keeps peppering Obi-Wan’s bare ankles with little kisses, completely lost to the world. Now that he is finally allowed to touch his Master like this, it doesn’t look like he can ever stop. He looks drunk. He looks feverish. He looks like he is caught in never ending ecstatic pleasure, blissed out of his mind.

“Okay,” Obi-Wan sighs, looking into the boy’s wide-blown pupils and giving him his usual indulgent smile. “But we have something we must do, remember?”

Anakin only hums something unintelligible in response, completely engrossed in his current task.

“First things first, since our lightsabers were never recovered from under the rubble, we’re gonna need new ones, so we have to go to Ilum,” Obi-Wan muses, more to himself than Anakin.

The boy at his feet takes a shaky breath and starts trembling violently, but doesn’t utter a single sound.

Obi-Wan cringes inwardly: he knows Ilum is the last place Anakin would want to go. Worse than Tatooine. Worse than Korriban. Ilum is where his greatest fears take shape.

Obi-Wan remembers all too well how going there a decade ago almost broke his little Ani completely. After walking out of those caves, the boy was not just constantly distressed – he was inconsolable. He would scream in his sleep every night. He would cry for hours on end. And he was falling apart right before Obi-Wan’s eyes every time he had to let go of his Master’s hand. Force, he was such a clingy mess!

He has grown since then, of course, but, unfortunately, it doesn’t mean he has defeated his childhood fears. It only means that they have grown with him.

“Shh, my sweet little boy.” Obi-Wan brushes Anakin’s curls out of his face and catches his chin, making him look up. “I won’t let you anywhere near those caves this time. I’ll get you a crystal myself.”

The one that sings in tune with my Light. The one that will scream and bleed, poisoned by your Darkness.

Obi-Wan doesn’t say that out loud, of course. He shouldn’t even allow that to happen. But he will. The first Jedi to let a Sith corrupt a kyber crystal right before his eyes. Oh, Force, what blasphemy…

Obi-Wan almost shudders from the sudden rush of guilty pleasure as he imagines that.

The boy is staring up at him with huge, unblinking eyes, so dark that they don’t appear human anymore. He is panting heavily through his open lips, as if trying to breathe his lungs full of his Master’s satisfaction.

Obi-Wan addresses him again, not really hoping for a response though, “And then I was thinking we could make a little detour on our way back. Well, it is more like...flying in the completely opposite direction, actually, but I am sure you’re gonna love it.”

He pets Anakin’s curls gently, “Consider it a little gift I’ve wanted to give you ever since I met you, my dear Ani.”

Butting his head into Obi-Wan’s palm, Anakin almost purrs at the caress and the endearment he loves so much.

“And then, of course, we have to go to the Senate.”

“Why?” Anakin’s head snaps up, his posture suddenly tense and defensive, as if something in Obi-Wan’s words has triggered it. “We don’t have to answer to them anymore, Master.”

“No, sweetheart,” Obi-Wan chuckles, tilting his head to recognize Anakin’s point, “but they will have to answer to us.”

🗡️🗡️🗡️🗡️🗡️