Chapter 7: The start of a relationship

4am the next morning

ASTRAEA'S POV

I woke up quite early for a change. The sun hasn't even risen yet. I rubbed my eyes and went to the bathroom to wash my face. I then made my way to the kitchen. I had just reached the bottom of the staircase when an alarm began to ring. I heard the sound of a gun prepared to shoot and the lights came on. I looked up and saw Carlos standing with a gun aimed at my face.

Carlos: Astraea, what are you doing up so early?

I saw Lexi putting her gun in her holster and then standing next to Carlos.

Astraea: I just wanted a glass of water.

The muttered to each other in Spanish before turning back to me.

Astraea: I didn't mean to wake you guys up.
Carlos: We were already awake, don't worry about it.

I looked at them, noticing they were already dressed.

Astraea: Where are you guys going?
Lexi: I'm training recruits so I'm not leaving the house.

I looked at Carlos, waiting for him to answer.

Carlos: I've got errands to do so I'll be out for most of the day.

I nodded. Carlos then indicated for Lexi to leave, so she hugged me and left. Carlos looked me up and down, analysing me.

Carlos: Feeling better now?

He raised an eyebrow slightly, his face emotionless as usual.

Astraea: Y-yeah, sleep helped.
Carlos: That's good.

He stayed quiet for a few seconds before stepping closer to me.

Carlos: Would you tell me if you were being abused?

That was oddly specific...

Astraea: It depends. Would you kill them?
Carlos: It depends on your relationship with them, but most likely yes.

He knelt down to match my height, staring deep into my eyes. I saw a glimpse of compassion from him.

Carlos: Only because I care about you.

He brushed some or my hair behind my ear and I blushed. Those words made me smile. I was happy to hear someone cares about me. His face then turned serious.

Carlos: Why were you limping yesterday? Don't even think about lying to me because either way I'll find out.

I hesitated but it's weighing on my conscience. I can't hold it in anymore.

Astraea: My uncle...uh...injected me with some drug and he...he raped me... That's why I struggled to walk but the drug wore of by the time we got here yesterday.
Carlos: How long as this been happening?
Astraea: ...Three years...

His eyes widened and he gasped.

Carlos: They've been abusing you for three years?
Astraea: Actually that's how long my uncle has been abusing me. My mom's been abusing me since I was 12.

I saw anger fill his eyes and he looked away from me.

Carlos: I'll take you to the doctor. Go get dressed.
Astraea: Wait, now?
Carlos: *sarcastically* No, next year.

I rolled my eyes and I saw him smile a bit. I went back to my room, took a quick shower and put on a black hoodie, jeans and black sneakers. I brushed my hair and tied it in a ponytail, before putting my phone in my pocket and going back to Carlos. He was talking into his phone by the kitchen.