33. THE SEVEN STAGES

CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE: THE SEVEN STAGES.

---

"Are you kidding me?" The Handler asked as she put her hands on the edge of her desk "You said I could hire my own team" Lila said "Yes, but I didn't mean him, for God's sake. If you don't see the problem with hiring you-know-who's brother, then you're not ready for that badge" The Handler and pointed at Lila.

"I'm sorry, but I really need to get going" Diego said "Shut up!" both Lila and The Handler said out loudly.

"I can't do this job if you don't trust my instincts" Lila said "Sweetheart, your vagina needs glasses. He's not worth it" The Handler said "Mum! Oh my God" Lila said before she took a deep breath "This may shock you, but not everyone here likes you" she said "Sounds ridiculous, but go on" The Handler said "You need fresh blood loyal to us and not the old regime. I've seen Diego in the field. He is so much better trained than most of the assholes here. Why waste that when we can use it? He'll be my personal responsibility" Lila said.

"You know, your brother Five and your sister Emma and I...we have quite...a colorful history" The Handler said "My brother has beef with everybody except Em, me included" Diego said.

"Let me ask you something" The Handler said as she grabbed her lighter before lighting it "When you're looking down the barrel of a gun, where do your loyalties lie, with your family or your principles?" she asked "With me" Diego said causing The Handler to raise an eyebrow "I don't belong to anybody" he said before he turned to Lila "Especially Lila" he said.

"That I can work with. Rum him through orientation, fill out his start paperwork" The Handler said causing Lila to smile "But...if he ruffles even one feather, you will kill him yourself. Understood?" The Handler said "Thanks. Mum" Lila said.

---

Luther was asleep on the couch when he woke up to the sound of a fridge opened and soft rattling was heard.

"Five? Emma?" Luther asked and he let out a softly grunt as he got up from the couch.

"Shit" Luther said as he walked towards the kitchen.

Luther saw Five without his blazer on and Emma who had her hair up in a ponytail, standing over by the fridge both drinking a large bottle of water each. They were both pouring down the water, like they were in a hurry.

"Emma, Five, what...You two okay?" Luther asked as he furrowed his brows in confusion and they both glanced him while slurping.

Both of them look aggressive, stress and like they haven't slept all night.

When they had finished the water, they remove the bottles from their mouths and let out a heavily gasping as they lower the bottles "Five and I gonna need to be hydrated" Emma said with a sigh as they both put the bottles back in the fridge.