62 - The Return Home

After the police took away James and the pilot, Cliff and Hannah were left alone in the hangar. During the interrogation, Cliff bought a cold soda from the vending machine so Hannah could hold the can against the side of her face to ease the swelling.

He reached out to touch her but pulled back, not knowing if she would welcome his touch after being literally manhandled. "I should take you to the hospital to have you checked out."

"No, it was just a slap. I'll be bruised, but I'm sure there's no permanent damage." She pulled the can from her face. "How? How did you know where to find me?"

Cliff explained to her how he had tricked the SkyLink representative into giving him continuing updates on their position. "I'm not denying a lot of luck was involved too. A minute later and that plane would've been on the runway. I would've lost you."

"You came for me," she said, weariness in her voice. "You saved me from who knows what kind of hell James had in store for me. Thank you."

He looked her in the eye. "Hannah, I will always come for you when you need me."

She glanced away, shyly. "Thank you."

"I got my key fob back from James. I'll take you home."

She stood. "I am so ready to go home."

After they were seated in Cliff's Corvette, he faced her. "You were incredibly brave and selfless to take Kayla's place. She owes you big time."

"No more than I owe you." She sighed. "If her father has influence, maybe he can save my job at the club. I'm sure the directors and Mr. Cento can't be happy with me."

"Don't worry about them."

She leaned her head back against the headrest and closed her eyes.

Cliff drove away. Hannah slept most of the way back to Hershey. She woke when he pulled to a stop in front of her house. He looked at her and smiled. "I didn't get a chance to tell you. You look incredible in your dress, just like I knew you would."

His smile made her smile. "I wore it for you. I hoped you would see me in it." She grunted. "Look at me now. The dress is all wrinkled, probably ruined, and my swollen face is hideous enough to scare away small children."

"You're beautiful to me."

"You don't have to keep trying to cheer me up."

"I'll come inside and help you explain this mess to your parents."

She wrinkled her brow as if deeply pondering his words. "I would rather talk to them myself. Would you be upset if we parted for now?"

"Of course not. I really hope, though, that you'll allow me to see you again."

She reached across the distance between them and took his hand. "Thank you for always allowing me the choice. I'm sick of men dictating what I should do."

"Are you referring to James? I'm not James. I will never be James."

"Let's not ever mention his name again."

"Fine by me."

She went quiet for a moment before saying, "I thought you would place your parent's happiness before mine. I realize now how that was a mistake. I trust you, Cliff. I know you are your own man despite your mother's interference."

Isn't that what he had been trying to convince her of all along? Had he finally made a believer out of her? "What caused you this sudden epiphany?"

"Your sister."

Cliff had difficulty digesting that. "Izzy?"

Hannah didn't elaborate. Instead, she said, "To answer your question, yes, I'll let you see me again. I'd really like that. You better call me."

He gave her hand a little squeeze. "Thank you, Hannah."

She pulled her hand from his and opened her door.

"Wait," Cliff said.

She went still and looked at him.

"Do you realize after all the time we spent together; I've never had a chance to kiss you?"

She giggled. "And you won't now either. My lips are swollen."

Poor Cliff

Poor Cliff. Will he ever make it to first base?