Torn (pt 3/6)

"I don't know a ton about cars, but something tells me having that many lights on the dash isn't a good thing," I say from the passenger seat.

"I'm aware."

She turns up the music to shut me up. We drive down the highway toward the earliest orphanage she remembers. I offered to just apparate us there but she was too afraid. Now I'm sitting in a car that I'm pretty sure is one sharp turn away from losing a tire. Genuinely feel like my way was safer, but whatever. Thirty minutes later we pull into the parking lot of a large brick building.

"This is it," she says, taking a shaky breath.

The two of us walk up the steps and I can feel the anxiety radiating off of her. I wonder what she had to endure while living here.

"May I help you?" an elderly woman asks as we enter the building.

"Yes um. Hi. I lived here when I was eight. I was wondering if you had any information on where I came from before I got here," Haven says.

The woman takes her time searching through the records as we sit in a small office that reeks of mold.

"You were transferred here from Saint Joseph's. It's a few counties over. You stayed there for about three years. Before that, you lived with a foster family that has declined to release any information about themselves to you," the woman says.

I watch as she tucks the records back into a filing cabinet and locks it. We follow her back to the main entrance.

"Do you have a public restroom?" I ask.

"No, I'm sorry sir."

"Hm, that's alright. So how does the adoption process work exactly? It's something we've been considering," I say.

Haven looks at me, eyebrow furrowed.

"First you would have to fill out some documentation-"

"Amazing, give me one moment I need to make a call. Go ahead and continue explaining the process to my wife," I say, walking out of the building.

Hiding beside the brick stairs, I apparate into the office. Haven and the old woman's voices carry down the hall as I unlock the filing cabinet and pull out Haven's records. I'm surprised they still have these so many years later. Pulling out the paper with the information for her foster family, I place everything else back and apparate outside.

"Sorry to interrupt, but we must be going now," I say, placing a hand on Havens back and leading her toward the door.

"Before you go I could give you a copy of the paper-"

"Sadly we're in a rush today, but we'll be in touch."

"What did you do?" Haven asks as soon as the car doors close.

I smile, holding up the paper I stole.

"Got what we needed."

"Draco they're going to notice that's missing," she says.

"Well then let's be gone before they do," I say, pausing to look over the document. "Cherish and Mick Corbett. Last known address is 507 Times Avenue."

She pulls up the address on her phone. It's a two hour drive from here.

"We could be there in seconds if you'd just let me apparate-"

"Fine," she says.

As soon as our feet land on the side walk Haven falls to her knees. I reach for her, but she holds a hand up as she spews her breakfast onto the pavement.