Chapter 15: Night Terrors

~~~~~~~~~

My breathing shortened and my eyes went closed as I fell onto the cold forest floor...

...and the whole time the Raven watched me with a knowing smile...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I woke up, The Boy in White was looking at me with a worried expression. 

"Luke, are you okay?" He asked, looking down at me. 

There it was again, with that stupid question. I thought bitterly to myself.

Instead of answering, I looked around. 

"Where are we?" I asked, looking up at him. 

He sighed, then answered. "Were in a cave. After you passed out on the floor, it started to rain like crazy, so I dragged you here." 

"What time is it?" I asked my head feeling a bit dizzy as I tried to sit up.

The Boy in White looked out of the cave for a brief moment and up towards the night sky. Trees covered the moon, so it was almost impossible to tell. 

"Around midnight... I think," he answered again as he reentered the cave.

"Soooooo...are you not going to tell me about the infected wolf bite you have?" 

My mind scrambled for thoughts of what to say, but instead of saying anything, I just sighed and looked away. 

"You should be okay for now. Luckily, I had some gauzes that should clear the infection for a bit...but we need to keep moving as soon as possible...the caves are not a very safe place to be..." 

"What?" I croaked confused about what I had just heard.

He looked away, a beat of sweat formed on his forehead.

"They hold the souls of everyone we wronged in life by making this wish," he answered.

The Boy in White's flashlight flickered, providing scant illumination. As he finished his sentence, his flashlight beam sliced through the oppressive darkness and casted long, jittery shadows on the jagged walls. 

The cave's walls, slick with moisture, echoed every whispered accusation as if the very stones bore witness to our sins, and the air hung heavy with the earthy scent of damp soil and the metallic tang of fear, each breath drawn in the cave feeling more suffocating than the last.

The Boy in White's eyes went wide, darting nervously at every creak and rustle. The cave's depths seemed endless, an abyss of inky blackness that consumed the light and sound alike.

"What do you mean, 'they hold the souls of everyone we wronged in life by making this wish'?" I mocked. 

"We need to leave," he answered. 

Our shadows began to coalesce, forming indistinct shapes that seemed to hover at the edge of our vision. Faces started to emerge from the darkness, familiar and accusing, their eyes burning with the light of the betrayed and wronged.

"What the fu-" I began but was cut off by one spirit shadow stepping forward.

Danny...

With hollow eyes and a sorrowful expression, his presence brought an icy wind that cut through my rain jacket as if it were nothing. 

"Why?" he whispered, his voice a haunting echo.

The Boy in White's knees buckled, and he fell to the floor, joining me on the ground.