Chapter 1 (Edited)

~Yemisi~

The insistent thrumming on my eyelids finally breached the blissful oblivion of alien-induced dreams.

"Yemisi! Yemisi oooo!" My mum's voice ripped through the haze, dragging me back to the harsh reality of Monday morning.

"Ugh," I mumbled, the lingering echoes of laser battles and spaceship chases dissolving into the drudgery of another school week.

"Curse that movie," I muttered, throwing the covers back with a groan.

The doorknob rattled. "Yemisi, o de dide!" My mum's voice, now laced with a hint of exasperation, jolted me into action.

"Mummy, I'm up! Good morning," I blurted, hastily scrambling to my feet before a potential slap could be delivered.

"Kaaro," she replied curtly, a ghost of a smile playing on her lips. "Oya lo we."

I mumbled an agreement and practically launched myself into the bathroom, desperate to escape any further reprimands.

Downstairs, I found Kayode, my ever-present shadow of a twin, already at the breakfast table. "Morning, sleepyhead," he greeted, a smug grin plastered on his face.

I shot him a withering glare. "Didn't I tell you to wake me up?"

"Vaguely," he replied, eyes twinkling. "Something about needing your beauty sleep for your 'alien invasion.'"

I sputtered, the memory of my explicit instructions to leave me undisturbed flashing through my mind. Defeated, I slumped into my chair.

"Well, someone seemed awfully determined to stay horizontal this morning," Kayode pressed, clearly enjoying my misery.

Before I could retort, the image of myself swatting him away with a dismissive "Leave me alone, Kayode," flickered into my memory. My mouth clamped shut, and I glared at the cereal in front of me.

We finished breakfast in a tense silence, the unspoken weight of my impending school change hanging between us. Today was the day.

"Mummy, we're leaving!" Kayode called out, the tension momentarily broken.

"Wait!" My mum's voice echoed from the hallway. We exchanged a wary glance before heading towards her room.

"E wole sinu iyara fun mi jare," she instructed, gesturing towards her study.

We entered, Kayode perched precariously on the edge of the desk while I took her usual seat. My stomach churned.

"Remember why we're doing this?" she asked, her gaze holding both concern and a flicker of steely resolve.

I nodded silently, the weight of my past actions heavy on my shoulders.

"Yemisi," she began, her voice softening, "not every response deserves the same reaction."

I met her gaze, a strange mix of understanding and defiance swirling within me. "Physics metaphor, Mum?" I thought wryly.

"Yemisi, se o n gbo mi?"

"Yes, ma," I mumbled, forcing myself to pay attention.

"You are both children of..." she started, but her words were abruptly cut short by Kayode chiming in. "Of greatness!" he declared, puffing out his chest.

I kicked him under the table, earning a surprised yelp. "Must you announce my past to the world?" I hissed.

My mum chuckled, a single note of amusement breaking the tension. "Enough, you two. Thank you, Kayode, for the sentiment," she said, her eyes twinkling at my brother's theatrics. "Yemisi, remember, a new school, a new start. No..."

She trailed off, her voice dropping to a low murmur. Kayode, never one to let a dramatic pause go unanswered, leaned forward, a mischievous glint in his eyes.

"No bad behavior, obviously," he stated, a smug grin spreading across his face.

I glared, my foot hovering over his shin in a silent threat.

"And Yemisi shouldn't..."

My mum's voice was cut off again, this time by the insistent honking of the car horn.

"Mr. Johnson's getting impatient," Kayode snickered, dodging my kick once more.

With a sigh of exasperation, I grabbed my bag and stormed out of the room, Kayode hot on my heels. The car ride to this new school, a place filled with unknowns, was shrouded in an uncomfortable silence. As I stared out the window, a single thought echoed in my mind: what exactly shouldn't I do?

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Do any of you love Korean music. I was listening to V of BTS's Rainy Days while writing this chap.This is my fav of all his solos. So what do you guys think? What's Yemisi's past? Please vote, comment and share
Love yaa

P.S: It's a Nigerian story, Yoruba to be precise.