Chapter 2 (Edited)

~Yemisi~

The imposing facade of Triston High loomed before us, the name itself an awkward mouthful. I stepped out of the car, a polite wave sent Mr. Johnson's way, before following Kayode towards the administrative office.

A wave of arctic air blasted me as I entered, sending shivers down my spine. "Moscow on a mild day," I muttered under my breath.

A beautiful young woman with a smile that could light up a power outage greeted us. "Good morning, how can I help you?"

"We're the new students," Kayode announced, ever the picture of outgoing confidence.

"Ah, you must be the Adekunle twins!" she exclaimed, the smile widening further.

Annoyance flickered within me, but I managed a polite smile. "That's us," I confirmed.

"Welcome to Triston High! You're both in Year 12, right?"

Kayode nodded, a self-satisfied smirk playing on his features.

"Well, Miss Tricia," she began, handing me an ID card, "your classroom is on the third floor. Master Tony, yours is on the second."

"Please, it's Yemisi," I corrected her gently. "I despise Tricia."

"Of course, Yemisi," she adjusted readily, the smile unwavering. "Now, run along, there's much to explore."

"That woman could smile through a zombie apocalypse," I mumbled to Kayode as we left the office.

The expansive halls of Triston High were a stark contrast to my previous school. Here, sleek lines and polished finishes replaced chipped paint and cracked tiles. Even stranger, an elevator graced one corner. "Big school things," Kayode remarked, seemingly reading my mind.

We boarded the elevator, the chrome interior gleaming under the harsh fluorescent lights. Kayode exited on the second floor, leaving me to ascend to the third alone.

Alone on the third floor, I found myself facing a labyrinth of identical doors. A sign labeling one "Main Classroom" settled my fluttering nerves. Pushing open the door, I felt a collective gasp ripple through the room, a hundred eyes turning to scrutinize the newcomer.

Just as I was about to sit, a textbook slammed down on the chair with a resounding thud. A girl with a sly smile, her perfect features twisted in a sneer, looked up at me. "This seat's taken," she declared.

"Oh," I stammered, momentarily flustered. I shifted towards another empty chair, only to be met with the same sly smile and a shake of the head.

"Seriously?" I thought, frustration bubbling within me. "Are all the seats claimed by the seating gods?"

"Alright class, settle down!" A booming voice cut through the tension. I flinched, startled, as the entire class erupted in a chorus of "Good morning, Mr. Bello!"

"Why are you standing?" Mr. Bello inquired, his gaze landing on me.

"There aren't any empty seats, sir," I mumbled, feeling a blush creep up my neck.

"Empty seats are meant to be occupied," he replied pointedly. "Take a seat, please."

With a mumbled "Thank you," I navigated towards the open seat, the girl's sly smile morphing into a scowl. I forced myself to ignore it.

"This week promises to be challenging," Mr. Bello announced, "but you've all been performing admirably, and I expect nothing less."

He paused, his gaze flickering around the room before landing on me. "We have a new student joining us today. Why don't you introduce yourself, Yemisi?"

A groan escaped my lips. As I walked to the front, a foot jutted out from under a desk, sending me sprawling. It was the girl with the sly smile, now giggling with her clique.

Flustered and humiliated, I managed to introduce myself, my voice barely a whisper.

"Good morning, my name is Oluwayemisi Tricia Adekunle"

"Hmm, her name sounds familiar," a voice from the back murmured.

Mr. Bello, oblivious to the undercurrents in the room, prompted me to continue.

"My mom... she owns FYK clothing," I mumbled, mortified by the snickers erupting from the corners of the room.

"The daughter of that gold-digger woman?" someone whispered, the venom in their voice unmistakable.

Mr. Bello finally seemed to sense the shift in atmosphere. "Alright, that's enough. Please return to your seat."

Sinking back into my chair, I longed for the invisibility cloak I didn't know I desperately needed. Just as the bell for the first test was about to ring, Mr. Bello called out, "Alessia, please follow me for the attendance register. Yemisi, you too."

I saw sly-smiling girl stand up and follow Mr. Bello. I quickly stood up and followed them.