Chapter 4 (Edited)

~Yemisi~

The insistent thrumming of my name against my bedroom door finally penetrated the fog of exhaustion clinging to me. "Yemisi! Yemisi! Yemisi!" My mum's voice echoed through the house, each repetition a hammer blow against my already throbbing head.

"E melo ni mo pe e?" (How many times did I call you?) she demanded as I shuffled in, blinking blearily.

"Meta (Three)," I mumbled, the memory of the day's events a swirling vortex of humiliation and frustration.

"What did I tell you on Monday, Yemisi?" she continued, her voice laced with a quiet disappointment that stung more than any raised voice could.

I slumped further, the weight of her words settling heavily on my shoulders. "Not to pick fights," I mumbled, the defiance I'd felt earlier replaced by a dull ache of regret.

"And what did you do?" she asked, the question hanging heavy in the air.

"The exact opposite," I confessed, my voice barely a whisper.

"Iwo gan mo" (You know yourself) she said, her voice heavy with a sigh.

"Yemisi, today is only Wednesday, and you're bringing home bad reports. You haven't even spent a full week at the school," she continued, her words laced with a weary frustration. "First, it's loitering on the first day..."

"Mummy, no o," I interjected, a flicker of defiance sparking to life. "That one is not true. All these things are caused by the girl I fought with," I explained, launching into a hurried explanation.

"And besides, I only gave her one slap," I insisted, holding up a single finger for emphasis. "And the school said I fought!" I finished, indignation rising in my voice.

"That school sef, they like to exaggerate," I muttered, frustration bubbling over.

My mum simply scoffed, employing the classic Nigerian dusting-of-the-palms gesture. "Hmmm," she said, her gaze unwavering.

"And you're still defending yourself," she said, her voice firm. "Yemisi, nkan ti o da o da" (What is bad is bad).

"I don't even know why we're having this conversation," she continued, her tone leaving no room for argument. "I'm going to punish you."

"Mummy naa," I whined, my voice laced with a childish plea.

"Don't 'Mummy naa' me anything," she shot back. "You're going to that school tomorrow and apologizing to that girl."

My head snapped up. "Mummy, why?" I protested. "Of all punishments, why apologize?"

"Okay," she said, a mischievous glint entering her eyes. "Do it in front of the whole assembly tomorrow morning."

"Mummy, don't worry," I stammered, shaking my head vehemently. "Don't change it again."

She chuckled, a low rumble that belied her amusement. "Sha bota fun mi ko lo jeun" (Just get out and go eat) she shooed me away, a playful smile on her lips.

Dejected, I shuffled towards the dining room, where I found Kayode engaged in a silent battle with his chicken. He dropped the drumstick upon noticing my entrance. "So, how'd the talk with Mum go?" he inquired, his voice laced with concern.

"Awful," I sighed, sinking into a chair and staring glumly at the plate of food before me. The mere thought of apologizing turned my stomach sour.

"So what did she do again today, besides yesterday's food-drenching incident?" he asked, his brow furrowed with concern.

"Do you enjoy impromptu showers... at school?" I countered, a sardonic edge to my voice.

"Ugh, no way!" he exclaimed, grimacing at the thought.

"Well, I did today," I mumbled, "because our class queen bee decided to push me face-first into the mud."

"My poor hair," I added, running a hand through my locks and mimicking a dramatic sob.

"So you slapped her?" he asked, a smirk tugging at the corners of his lips.

"Eh-hen," I admitted, a sliver of defiance returning to my voice. "You know, that slap shocked everyone. Like nobody expected me to fight back."

"Heard she's a Bailey - one of the famous entrepreneurs' daughters," he explained. "Apparently, she bullies anyone she doesn't like, and the school practically worships the ground she walks on."

"Bailey as in the rich Bailey family?" I asked, a flicker of recognition sparking in my mind.

"Wo gbogbo iyen o kan mi mo" (All those things don't concern me), I muttered, forcing a bite of the food I'd claimed to have no appetite for.

*AUTHOR'S NOTE*
This chapter is dedicated to vantaeee- first person to vote for my story.
You guy should check out her stories Her Rebound and Clouds of Grey
What's gonna happen when our Yemisi apologizes. Who even knows whether she is going to apologize?
As a k-pop fan, I am urging all readers to listen to ITZY's Cake
Please vote, comment and share.
Love yaa