Chapter 6 (Edited)

~Yemisi~

We sprinted down the seemingly endless staircase, the pounding of our feet echoing off the concrete walls. Reaching the ground floor, I scanned the hallway, spotting the suspicious figure darting towards the back of the administrative building.

"Stay here," I whispered to Kayode, urgency creeping into my voice.

He hesitated for a moment, his brow furrowed with concern, before nodding in agreement. Crouching low, I crept towards the back of the building, careful not to be seen.

Peeking around the corner, I froze. It was Pamela, clad in a hooded sweatshirt much too large for her frame. Relief washed over me momentarily, replaced by a jolt of suspicion.

"So, it was Pamela," I thought, my mind racing.

Suddenly, a voice startled me. "Pamela, I'm scared," Adediwura whimpered, emerging from behind me. I hadn't noticed her before.

"Don't be," Pamela snapped, her voice devoid of sympathy. "We didn't do anything wrong."

"Besides, the evidence points to Yemisi anyway," she continued, her voice dropping to a conspiratorial whisper. "Did you tell the investigators anything else?"

Adediwura shook her head frantically. "Good. Let's go," Pamela said, her eyes darting nervously around.

I quickly ducked back around the corner, my heart hammering in my chest. I needed to get to the administrative office before they disappeared. Rushing back to where I left Kayode, I nearly bumped into him.

"Chill, why'd you jump?" he chuckled, his smile failing to reach his eyes.

"Sorry, you startled me," I stammered, catching my breath. "And your hands are freezing!"

He shrugged. "Mr. Johnson's already here. Let's go."

We found Mr. Johnson waiting by his car, a grim expression etched on his face. The short ride home was filled with a heavy silence.

"Why was school closed?" Mr. Johnson finally asked after we buckled up.

"Someone died," I said, my voice barely above a whisper.

"Was murdered," Kayode clarified.

Mr. Johnson simply nodded, his jaw clenched, and started the car.

We pulled into the driveway fifteen minutes later.

"Thanks, Mr. Johnson," I mumbled, my thoughts swirling in a chaotic mess.

Entering the house, I was greeted by an unnerving quiet. My mom wasn't home. Seeking solace, I retreated to my room and grabbed my phone. It was the first time all week I'd had a chance to check it.

A notification overload assaulted my senses - a mountain of messages clogging my inbox. Most were from an unknown Whatsapp group - "SS2 Science Triston High Group."

"Seriously?" I scoffed. "Who added me to this?"

Clicking on the group, I saw a profile picture that vaguely sparked recognition. A knock on my door startled me.

"Come in," I called out.

Kayode entered, a triumphant grin plastered on his face. "Pizza time!" he announced, holding up a box.

"Already? How'd you manage that?" I asked, surprised.

"Priorities," he said with a wink. "Eat up."

As we devoured the pizza, a thought struck me. "Hey, do you know her?" I asked, showing him the girl's profile picture from the group chat.

"That's Sarah Bello, Mr. Bello's daughter, right?" he replied with a mouthful of pizza.

"Mr. Bello has a daughter?" I said, disbelief coloring my voice.

He nodded affirmatively. A spark of hope ignited within me. Maybe Sarah could shed some light on the situation. I reached for my phone again, noticing Sarah was online.

Me: Hey Sarah, it's Yemisi.

Sarah: Hi Yemisi.

Me: With everyone accusing me of killing Alessia, I need to clear my name. Can I ask you a few questions?

Sarah: I don't think you killed her.

Me: Really?

Sarah: Yep. Alessia always seemed...off. Two weeks before you arrived, I saw her crying in the restroom, saying she hated her life. It was strange, though, because she seemed to have everything - good grades, good looks...

Me: So, you think...?

Sarah: That Alessia committed suicide.

Me: Thank you so much, Sarah. If I have any more questions, can I reach out again?

Sarah: Absolutely. Don't hesitate.

Me: Thanks

A wave of relief washed over me, tinged with a sliver of doubt. Sarah's words offered a glimpse of hope, but Pamela and Adediwura's conversation echoed in my mind. Why would Pamela be acting so suspicious?

Frustration bubbled up within me. Why was all this happening? Just as I reached for another slice of pizza, Kayode swatted my hand away playfully.

"Whoa there, Miss bottomless pit! Remember, I only got one more slice myself," he teased.

Sheepishly, I counted the empty crusts on my plate. Seven. "Whoops," I muttered, realizing I'd gotten carried away.

I mustered my most persuasive puppy-dog eyes, hoping to snag the last slice. He remained unfazed, chuckling at my attempt. With a resigned sigh, I slumped back onto the bed.

Suddenly, the sound of a car pulling into the driveway filled the air. I glanced at the clock on my phone - 10:17 am. This was unusual. Mom typically didn't return home until noon.

"It's Mum!" Kayode whispered, peering out the window.

A knot of apprehension tightened in my stomach. Mom rarely came home early unless something was wrong. Her booming voice echoed through the house a moment later.

"Yemisi ooo!" she called out.

"Mo ti wo leni o" (I'm Soo screwed) I mumbled under my breath, bracing myself for whatever awaited me downstairs.

_______________________________
*Author's Note*
Yemisi is in hot 🔥 pepper 🌶️ soup 🍲
A lot of suspicion right
This chap is dedicated to She_isVahny for her support and comments
Ranking No 1 in Nigerian Girl is her book
"Our Stars"
Please do check it out"
I'm soooooo happy for a 100 reads.
Please 🥺🥺🙏 don't forget to vote and comment ❤️💕
Love you