DESPERATE ESCAPE

Isabella's POV

I couldn't bring myself to accept the fact that my mother was gone. I kept thinking that maybe she had just run away, or maybe she had been kidnapped. I clung to these thoughts, even though they were far-fetched and unlikely. It was easier to believe in these fantasies than to face the truth. The grief and the pain were like a weight on my chest, crushing me from the inside.

The funeral was a blur. I watched the proceedings with a numbness that I couldn't shake. It all felt like a terrible dream, and I kept waiting for someone to wake me up. But as I watched my mother's casket being lowered into the ground, I knew that this was real. And it was too much to bear. I felt like I was shattering into a million pieces, and I didn't know how to put myself back together.

As I watched the casket disappear into the ground, I felt like my heart was being ripped out of my chest. I sank to my knees and the tears came in waves. The sobbing was uncontrollable. The world seemed to be spinning around me, and I couldn't find my footing, as the tears fell, I knew that I would never be the same again.

My father's arms were around me, and he held me as if he were afraid that I might crumble into dust. He said nothing, but his presence was a comfort. I clung to him like a life raft, trying to find some solid ground. And as the tears finally subsided, I felt a wave of exhaustion wash over me. I had no more strength left, and I leaned against my father's chest, spent and empty.

As the funeral ended, the attendees began to disperse, I felt a profound sense of isolation. I didn't want to talk to anyone, and I didn't want anyone to talk to me. I just wanted to go home and be alone.

I tugged at my father's sleeve, and he looked down at me, his face etched with sadness. "Please, Dad," I whispered, my voice hoarse. "Can we just go home?" He nodded, and we made our way to the car in silence.

When we got home, I rushed up the stairs to my bedroom, slamming the door behind me. I could hear my father calling my name, but I didn't want to talk to him.

I just wanted to shut out the world, to escape into my head. I threw myself onto my bed, burying my face in my pillow. I let the darkness envelop me, and I tried to shut out the grief and the pain. But it was still there, like a shadow that I couldn't escape.

I lay in my bed, staring at the ceiling, I realized that my 20th birthday was just around the corner. I had been looking forward to it for so long, but now it felt like a cruel joke. How could I celebrate without my mother by my side? The thought was too much to bear, and I began to sob again. I felt like a child, lost and alone, with no one to turn to. The thought of spending my birthday without my mother was unbearable, and I didn't know how I would get through it.

I woke and realized that I had slept off while crying. I heard muffled voices coming from my father's study, and I tiptoed over to the door. I pressed my ear against the wood, straining to hear what was being said.

"I can't believe you would do this," my father said, his voice laced with anger and hurt. "You know what the mafia is capable of. You put our family in danger!" There was a long pause, and then my uncle's voice came through the door. "I'm sorry, I didn't know what else to do," he said, his voice sounding defeated. "I was desperate." My father let out a long sigh, and then his voice softened.

"You took out a loan from the wrong people, and now they're demanding payment, Noah!" I froze, my mind racing. My uncle had always been a bit of a gambler, but I never imagined that he would get involved with the mafia. I listened intently as my father continued.

My father's disappointment and anger were clear in his voice, but underneath it all was a sense of sadness and regret. He had always trusted his brother, and now he was faced with the reality that his brother had made a terrible mistake. "I don't understand how you could be so careless," he said, his voice breaking. "What were you thinking?" I felt a knot in my stomach as I listened to their conversation.