Part - 17

Danger followed Devil's Corsair on his final approach,

As Devil began to land, Carm settled into a slow orbit around the airbase, watching Devil's movements, hoping nothing went wrong.

His F4U touched down nice and gently on the pavement, coming to a halt long before the runway ended, an excellent performance.

"Danger, you are cleared for landing" ATC said.

Now, it was Carm's turn to land.

Since it was getting closer to nighttime, the runway's lights were on, illuminating the approach path with a line of bright white lights.

Carm eased the P-51 into a descending path, putting the flaps all the way into landing, and keeping the throttle tightly gripped, putting in small adjustments of power so that he didn't stall or overshoot the airfield

The altimeter kept getting lower and lower, as the pavement got closer and closer.

Until...

*Krt! *Krt!

The Mustang gently touched down on the pavement, and Carm immediately set the throttle to "zero" and applied brakes, like he was trained on doing ever since he got here.

it's tires and brakes squeaking as they rolled to a halt.

Carm sighed in relief, this landing was significantly smoother than the LAST one.

He sat down for a few seconds, wiping away the materializing sweat

ATC then wasted absolutely no time telling him something

"Danger, clear the runway" ATC said

Carm needed to hear no more, as he immediately began to increase the throttle,

Immediately as he vacated the runway, however....

*FWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM!!!

An EXTREMELY loud whooshing sound, shaking Carm's plane as he taxied away.

Carm nearly dislocated his spinal cord trying to get a good view of the sound, eventually having to open the bubble canopy of his P-51 to see.

Those were two F/A-18F Super Hornets taking off, likely to start their aggressor training themselves.

It was quite the reminder that NAS Fallon is a Jet base as well, it can facilitate Prop jobs, but those guys were actually training to fight in the air,