Part 7

"What are you doing?"

Alice waddles out of her bedroom in her gym outfit. It's Sunday and Sundays mean she heads to the gym; do a bit of workout and a bit of yoga. The picture in front of her now is Haseena lying on the couch. A couple of books and a Nintendo Switch are by the couch. On top of her is her phone and on top of her forehead is her own arm. She is awake but not entirely. Her mind is somewhere else and her conscious is shutting down. She has been like this for almost a week now. Her heart is broken and she is afraid to admit it.

"You're on your period?"

"No." Haseena responds as Alice stops next to the couch looking down at her. There is no space left on the couch but Alice manages to squeeze herself down at one end and force Haseena's legs to go up on the backrest.

"Do you want to go to the gym with me?" Alice offers. She knows exactly what is up with Haseena. Dark clouds start to form over Haseena and she has been trying to fill the void of her time for days now. Blue is not just a color for Haseena anymore.

"No."

"Do you want me to drive you to the hospital?"

Haseena is suddenly triggered by the question. She sits up on the couch and her legs land on Alice's lap. "No."

"Are you sure?"

"No." Haseena throws herself back down on the couch. "Do you think she's mad?"

"I don't think she is mad. I know she is mad. I know I would be. You convinced her that it was something special and one day you were like, 'nope. I don't want a girlfriend. This is just for killing time.' shit."

Haseena looks at the ceiling trying to gather her thoughts. It has been hard for her to concentrate on anything for the past days. Her mind keeps going back to the thought that she wouldn't be able to see Karishma tonight or in the morning or on the day after tomorrow. She is attached whether she likes it or not. "It can't get any more serious than this if the only people who know about her is you and Kevin. It was as serious as it could get. She would want to see my sister, my mom, my colleagues and that old man guarding our high school."

"She told you that?"

"She didn't have to tell me that. It's what you do when you're in a relationship. It's what you do, Alice. Ben met that old dude."

"You have to talk to her." Alice says quietly. She is not sure if that is something her best friend wants to hear. Haseena is not big with a serious talk; not to mention about this matter.

"Talk or not. It's going to end the same way it always has." Haseena uses her foot to push Alice playfully.

"You know what I hate the most?" Alice grabs Haseena's foot and puts it on her lap. She looks serious and what she is about to say is also serious. "The that damn Cornell girl effects. Somehow, she becomes a standard for every freaking thing."

"Oh, come on." Haseena whines as soon as she hears that. Alice is back at it again with her straightforwardness. "She has nothing to do with this. It's like 3 lifetimes ago."

"Yes, you'd died 3 times a year. You keep thinking that every relationship will end like you and Zoe. This is you and Karishma, stupid. Listen, you have to talk to Karishma. Tell her. Talk to her."

"Tell her about what?" Haseena sits up; feeling frustrated. She doesn't know how to talk to Karishma but she doesn't want to lose her. "Karishma, I was just joking about not wanting a girlfriend thing. Do you want to hang out tonight?""

"Haseena." Alice leans against the couch facing Haseena. She wants to sigh so deep but she doesn't want to ruin Haseena's spirit. She points at Haseena's head. "Say something that has always been in here. Enough with the jokes. Do you want her or not?"