Part 12

Haseena walks up the steps of the wooden flooring porch to join Amar at the grill and Mira at a patio cooler. Mom is still inside; busy with her small size turkey that will soon be on the grill. It is little recipe that guarantees deliciousness.

"I'm going to Maine tomorrow." Haseena says to no one in particular but everyone acknowledges it, including her mom who is on her way out the door with the marinated turkey.

"What are you doing in Maine?" Noor Jahan asks while handing the turkey over to Amar. Her curly shoulder-length hair and her small-built make her look like a typical kind housewife who would bake tons of cookies if she was asked to. Mira looks at Haseena with support in her eyes.

"I... ah... My..." Haseena clears her throat and her mind. She knows what she has to say but saying them out is not easy. "I'm visiting a... Hmm.... The doctor that put a cast on for me. The family invited me to go up there."

"On Thanksgiving? Your doctor?" Noor Jahan tries to make sense of what she has heard but it is hard for her. She knows Haseena sometimes is not really into senses but explanations are something Haseena is best at. But now, somehow, she is just terrible at it. "Shouldn't it be us inviting them here?"

"It's a Mainer thing." Haseena shrugs and pretends to be interested in the turkey lying on the grill.

"Well," Noor Jahan doesn't seem to be convinced but she cannot provide any more argument.

"Mom." Haseena leans against the wall near the porch door. Both of her hands are behind her back and the weight of the world is on her shoulders. The look on her face is more than distress. Mira sits on the porch chair with a glass of ice tea in her hands; she is the only support system Haseena has right now. "I'm kind of dating that doctor."

"I kind of know. You are not the type who goes around to other people's house to hang out. Well, except Kevin's and Alice's." Noor Jahan is standing next to Amar who seems to already know what is going on. He awkwardly uses the tongs to adjust the position of the turkey on the grill although it already perfectly fits and is ready for the lid to go over. "What is his name?"

"Her name is Karishma." Haseena says quietly as she is looking at her feet; praying for a bright blue sky once she looks up. "Mom, I love her."

"Oh." Noor Jahan exclaims. She looks at Haseena and notices how Mira is not surprised. "Your sister told you about this?"

"I actually met her, mom." Mira wants to give Haseena a hug but she has an explanation to hold with mom whose emotion is questionable. "Karishma is just the sweetest. She is doing her residency..."

"Alice is also a sweet friend of yours, Haseena. I'm glad that you have wonderful girl friends." Noor Jahan wipes her hands on her apron and tries to make her way back into the house. There are so many things to get done before dinner time and that is what she wants to focus on now.

"Karishma is not a friend." Haseena stops her mom at the door. She has suspected this. Mira also has warned her about this. Their mom is not going to accept this easily. She is old-fashioned. She doesn't hate but everything off her book is invalid. She is going to block out everything she doesn't want to perceive.

"You can do all you want in the city, Haseena." Noor Jahan starts without looking at her daughter's eyes. They are too afraid to look at each other. "But, in my house, I don't think I'll accept that."

"So basically, if I ever take her home, she can say hi from the driveway? I guess I'll buy a binocular." Haseena tries to crack a joke to help herself to breathe a little bit easier. The joke that no one laughs makes everyone uncomfortable.

"Listen." Noor Jahan caresses Haseena's arms and tries to calm her down. "We always know that you get into that teenager phase a little bit later than others. Your little rebellion. Your little dark phase."