Part 9

"Hey." Karishma walks through the ED entrance to Haseena who is waiting with the brown paper bag in her hand. She looks different. She doesn't really smile when she sees Karishma but it's not that frowning face. It is just something different. Haseena seems lost. "What's the matter? Are you alright?"

Karishma's reaction to Haseena's unusual self is to start checking up on her. She almost puts a stethoscope on when Haseena hands her the paper bag and gets some sound out of her mouth.

"Your parents." Haseena clears her throat and scratches her head in confusion. She is still in a process of understanding what has happened. So many things have happened and she lost the ability to catch up.

"What about them?" Karishma grabs Haseena's hand and holds it in hers. That's when she can feel how sweaty Haseena's hand is. "Haseena, look at me. You have to talk to me."

Haseena obeys the order. Karishma's eyes shine the ray of worried and healing at the same time.

"Tell me what happened." Karishma puts her hand on Haseena's cheek.

"Your parents."

"My parents." Karishma repeats to keep track of what Haseena wants to say.

"Are here."

"Are not here." Karishma giggles. "The last time I checked, they were in Maine decorating the house with Christmas things already. It is a big competition in our neighborhood and..."

"Puspha and Arin are here."

Karishma stuns for a second by the fact that Haseena refers her parents by names. She has never told Haseena that. "My parents are here?"

"Yes!" Haseena with her panic look answers with enthusiastic voice. "I ran into them at your place. They will come here later to help you with the hospital's charity. I've already booked Uber for them. I also taught your dad how to use the app but I booked their ride through my account..."

Karishma smiles as she listens. "Thank you."

Haseena sees that warmest smile and she just can't help herself but starts to smile with her. She grins and chuckles. It is so much better now that Karishma is right in front of her: not on another side of the screen. "Your mom is mad because you have me running around and do things for you."

"Of course." Karishma is not surprised that as soon as they meet, her mom immediately jumps in to protect Haseena at all cost.

Haseena fixes Karishma hair that is blown by the wind. "And..."

"And?"

"Thank you for telling them about me."

Karishma doesn't say anything as she leans in for a quick hug.

"I'll stop by if I can." Haseena sighs and breathes through her mouth as she starts to feel more relaxed from the whole situation. She closes her eyes for a bit and feels Karishma caress her cheeks. Everything seems fine for her now. Once she opens her eyes, Karishma still has her eyes fixed on hers. "I miss you."

"I miss you too." Karishma pouts.

"Oh no. That face." Haseena chuckles. "Quick question."

"Okay."

"Will you be my girlfriend?" Haseena asks with such confident. She knows it's fast and she also knows she can't let this one go. Karishma is a good one.

Karishma tries to hide her smile and quickly goes into serious mode. "I don't know. I have to think about it. Send in your resume. I'll take a look."

"What? Who am I up against?" Haseena asks with a smile. The way Karishma's trying to hide her smile melts her heart.