|| Matching Rhythms ||

Unknown 1- pov

I got the most unexpected phone call on a gloomy morning in December. Ah, well it's not like I had anything else worth my time, so I answered it. In all the years I've worked with different people, never have I even once considered saving the number of my manager. I find him really annoying, really, really annoying, calling randomly just to ask what I've accomplished and lecturing me on what I should've accomplished, and ever so often does he ask —wait not even ask— command that I leave my phone at his office.

I've looked into ways of trying to find out what fascinates him in my phone so much that he uses it more than I do. Till present, I unfortunately haven't found any evidence of illegal activity. Since I have decided to never save my manager's number, I love the confusion it creates when I accidentally assume he's a crazy fan who got my number through a leak. Sometimes I just ignore him when I'm with the team, telling them that it must be some salespeople with their good-for-nothing spam calls. I don't think he would be happy to know that.

What my manager doesn't know —and I'm surprised he hasn't found out yet— is that I have two phones. Two phones, with two different numbers, that are not even remotely related to each other except that they're owned by the same person. I make it so obvious too — just going out and about with my phone in front of him while it's supposedly in his office for checking.

I have my second number added to everything, all the contacts, group chats, logins, pictures, everything. And no one seems to notice a second me somehow. A major problem is looking for messages that are on one device, realizing they're on the other, and then looking for them on that one. Continuing conversation from the other device is difficult too. It gives me so much difficulty —it makes my brain hurt— but it's definitely not worth letting my manager know about the second phone.

In my five-minute conversation with my manager, I learnt a lot. I learned that we were going to shoot an episode for a channel sometime in the next few weeks. I learnt that someone would be performing and that we would be watching them. Oh, and also the people performing hadn't been informed about this yet, so the event was scheduled exactly 25 days from that day. There are more details, but my manager said they were surprises.

I love how much surprises degrade our ability to be prepared for such events or shows. It's so nice. Jokes aside, I have to admit that I'm a bit of a perfectionist. Also, I can practically see Niki roll his eyes saying that the "bit" is actually a lot. I might agree with him on that. The thing is, you always want to show your best selves to the people around you, right? If I don't put in that extra effort to show everyone what I can truly do, then what kind of leader would I be? Oh, but I don't think those people see me as anything but a cat.

Cats are known to be animals who like having control over anything and everything. I do see the resemblance, maybe more than just my appearance.