Step 21-The last step: Being true

Logan's last word echoed in my mind. Friend...

                I fought back the tears and looked up to Logan. I smiled at him. "It's my pleasure," I said. After that I heard the emcee call our attention. "We should go back." I turned on my heels and walked away.

I tried to find Gavin. When I finally saw his face, I immediately walked towards him. He was standing at the back end of the crowd.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"They're revealing the Prom king and Prom queen," he said.

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen. I am proud to announce this year's Prom King and Prom Queen," the Emcee said. He opened the blue envelope he was holding. "The Prom king is..." the drum rolled. "Logan Stroma!" he announced. The crowd went wild. Gavin and I cheered with the others. When Logan went upstage, my heart skipped another beat. He looked stunning in his tux. A crown was placed on his head.

"Now, for the Prom Queen." The Emcee opened another envelope as the drum rolled. This time it was a pink envelope. "The Prom queen is none other than...Stacey Millan!" I wasn't even surprised about the announcement. It was likely that Stacey gets to be the queen and Logan gets to be the king. They're popular and they're the new couple in town.

"Thank you very much everyone," Stacey announced after the crown was placed on her head.

"Okay, enjoy your night guys," the emcee said.

The slow dance song played. Gavin offered his hand, "Joanne, can I have this dance?"

I smiled. "Of course." Together, we made our way to the crowd.

As we danced, I realized that the feeling I felt during my dream about dancing with Logan. I felt happy dancing with Gavin. Reality felt better than the dream, actually.

We danced, and danced. I couldn't deny that I had a great time with Gavin. But using him to escape the pain I had, was not right. I had to face the pain alone and maybe while I did that, I would let myself open up.

Gavin was a good guy. He did not deserve the pain I kept giving him. To tell you the truth, maybe I had some sort of crush-feeling towards him, but it was not like the way I feel towards Logan. Yet.

It's now or never,I thought.

"Gavin," I muttered.

"What is it?" he asked. Worry started to cross his face.

"I know you are aware of how I really feel about you," I started. This was it. I knew back then that I had to choose. It was either to endure the pain alone, or share it with someone who is innocent.

I felt his chest rise as he took a shaky breath. "I know. I know," he said.

"I'm really sorry, for everything. And I mean it." I was on the verge of crying, but I did my best to hold the tears back and to look strong. I had to.

"It's okay. Don't worry," he said.

"Gavin, I don't want to hurt you anymore. I don't want to share the pain I'm going through to someone who deserved to be happy."

He fidgeted a little, and I felt his body tense. "Please, let's just forget about that. Everything's fine."

"No. It's not okay. Gavin, I just wanted you to know that..." Okay here it goes, the final judgment.

I knew that this is going to hurt Gavin, but maybe not as much as I was going to hurt him if I continued to use the poor guy. "I appreciate everything that you've done for me. But I'm not ready yet. Some people might've grabbed the opportunity to use someone to forget their past, but I'm not really like those people. I prefer to solve my problems on my own."

He took another shaky breath. "Are-are you dumping me?" he asked.

I quickly backpedalled. "No, no. It's not like that. And I'm not friend-zoning you either. Let's just stay at what we are right now. But I don't want you to wait on me and torture yourself. You're a freeman...Oh I hope you understand what I'm saying."

To my surprise, he smiled. He didn't look hurt. He looked part amused and part happy. "Don't worry. I understand. But that doesn't change the fact that I'll still be here for you no matter what." He smirked. "Besides, I know you'll be mine sooner or later," he said with confidence. I blushed. There was silence between us for a moment. I looked at him and we held each other's gaze. He brushed the back of his hand on my cheek.

"What a wonderful night this had been," the emcee said. "Now it is time for us to go home—or go to the after party—but anyways, good night everybody!"

"Well, it's time for us to go home." I was about to pull away, but he caught me in a hug. I closed my eyes and savored this feeling. "I'll always be here for you," he whispered.

 A smile formed in my lips. "Thank you."

He led me towards the parking lot. I insisted that I'll just hitch a ride with Becca or anyone, but he said that he promised to take care of me so he needed to bring me home safely.

                The ride towards home was unexpectedly...well, normal. There was a very tiny bit of awkwardness in the air but it didn't make a single effect on us. We talked about random things, and I started to get to know Gavin more.

                When I got to my room, I quickly went to the window to take a quick glance of Gavin. He was leaning on his car. He waved again before going in. I smiled and watched as he drove away.

                I knew that someday, I'll really get over Logan.

Thank you all guys for reading this story. I really hope you got the messages I wanted to pass on to you so you could forget your crush. :) I love you all xOxO  I had fun sharing, at the same time learning. ^.^

Sadly I have no Q for this last chapter xD

I really want to put a looooong ending note here, but I can seem to think about something. :) How about message me instead? xD