Chapter 10: Ghost on the sofa

Meenakshi and Pruthvi reach Udaipur by the afternoon. They reach the king's palace.

A servant receives them and takes their baggage from their hands.

"Has Arjun Bhai reached home?" Pruthvi asks the servant.

"No sir" replies the servant and takes the baggage into the room.

"Don't tell me, that duffer will also be here?!" asked Meenakshi.

"Obviously... when all of us are attending the ritual, my brother will also be there."

"I wouldn't have been here...."

"God... it's fifteen years Meenu. Please stop fighting like Tom and Jerry. Both your arguments literally have no meaning. Both of you individually are bright students and toppers in your own field. When you come together, your intelligence just sleeps in the freezer ... You behave worse than kids.... Stand together at least now ..."

"I'll think about it...."

"Don't think... just do it...."

Meenakshi and Pruthvi reach  Rajveer's room to meet Malvika and Rajveer.

"Mom, isn't Bua Daadi here yet?" asks Pruthvi.
"No dear. She is attending some other ritual at Haridwar and said that she won't be here this time. She will be coming for Navratri" replies Malvika.

After this, they all have a pleasant conversation and Meenakshi goes on to tell them their college stories.

Meenakshi has a call with her parents and finally goes to sleep after dinner.

Meenakshi gets up in the middle of the night for water.

Meenakshi passes through the hall to get water from the kitchen. She notices a black shadow on the sofa.  She takes the lord's name and rushes into the kitchen.

She slowly sneaks out of the kitchen after filling her bottle.

"Meenaksh.... get me water..." shouted the shadow.

"Ohh my god!!! Looks like the ghost knows my name. Why did it miss the i? Is it because of the darkness.... Anyways I have a Durga maata's thread tied on my hand. It will only protect me...." says Meenakshi to herself and walks towards the shadow.

"Ahh.... atlast.... you are here...." saying this, the shadow i.e, the person on the sofa puts his hand forward.

Meenakshi gives the bottle to that person from the back of the sofa.

"Wow Meenaksh.... today, you've got the right quantity to quench my thirst" said he.

Meenakshi turns back to leave the hall but then the voice stops her. "Meenaksh, give a shoulder massage. I'm totally tiered today" says he.

********
Meaning to some of the Hindi Vocabulary used in this chapter:

1. Bhai: elder brother

2. Bua Dadi: Father's aunt or grandfather's.   sister

3.  Haridwar and Kashi are holy places of worship in India.

4. Vishwanath temple is a temple of lord Shiva ( an Indian- hindu deity) at Kashi

5: Durga Maata: An  Hindu Deity