Chapter 5

I've managed to keep my sobs down, but a steady stream of tears still flows out of my eyes.

"Judging by your reaction, you were only doing what you were doing to protect people. Even if those people weren't alive, you didn't know that. But you still are an accessory to many murders. That's why I've worked out two options for you" Traci explains.

"The first is you remain prisoner in the A.S.S.'s headquarters for the rest of your life. The second is you can now work as the brains of the A.S.S.'s, except I will be putting you in the field with Ryan" Traci says.

"Hell no! Why does she have to be with me?" Ryan speaks for the first time since we've entered the room.

"Because you need a new partner Ryan" Traci says.

"I need a new partner because of her!" Ryan yells.

"No you need a new partner because of the S.I.N.S. And once you two get along, you guys will make a great team" Traci says.

"She's in no shape for the field" Ryan speaks for me.

"That's why if she accepts this option, you will train her. And after that's done, she will provide you with information you could never have thought of yourself. Information that could save your life Ryan. She's a living prodigy. Arden, was good, but she's better" Traci says.

Even I wince at that one. He shouldn't have gone there. "Don't you dare say that! Ashley won't ever be a TENTH as good as Arden was!" Ryan screams and storms out of the room.

"Well there you go Ashley. You have the two options. Which will it be?" Traci asks.

I've done a lot of bad in my life. I know most of it is unforgivable. But I want to put good into the world. This is a chance I haven't gotten before.

"You have a new A.S.S."

Traci grins. "Great, but it's up to you to make amends with Ryan. Your first mission is to get Ryan to unlock your handcuffs" Traci says.

He opens a drawer and hands me a key. "Your next task is to get Ryan to show you to your apartment. We have apartments connected to our H.Q. just for agents. This is the key to your apartment. Inside you should find clothes, toiletries, and food. Anything else you need we can discuss later. You have one day to rest. Tomorrow your training will begin. I'll let Ryan know what needs to be done. You're dismissed" Traci says and I take that as my cue to leave.

I walk out the door and shut it behind me. When I look up I'm shocked at what I see. Ryan is standing next to the door. His eyes are red and he's wiping his wet face with his palm.

I need to say something to him. But I'm honestly scared as hell. What if he hurts me again?

I realize I do need to talk to him if I want these cuffs coming off.

"Ryan.." I say and trail off.

"What?" he hisses.

"I'm really sorry about everything. But you need to know it's not my fault all those people died. It's not my fault those agents died. It's not my fault Arden died. We have both been victims of the S.I.N.S. They killed my family. They killed your... partner. Look, I'm not asking you to like me. I just need you to bare with me. Teach me what you know about the field. I'll help you once we get out there. We really can make a great team. Yeah, maybe nothing compared to you and Arden, but we can be good. We can do good for the world" I say.

Ryan looks at me. Really looks. I pray he can read my mind and know I'm being completely honest.

"Fine" he says. "Come here."

I raise an eyebrow at him. What does he want?

"Do you want those cuffs off or not?" Ryan groans.

I quickly walk towards him and he unlocks the cuffs.

Ryan may not think so, but we are the same. Both humans damaged by one evil society.