Chapter 20

The next day is tough. Ryan paces in my living room going through every attack strategy he can think of. It seems like he's throwing out every thing that could possibly be necessary. From how to breath underwater to picking locks.

I decide to interrupt him. "Ryan it's already four in the afternoon. Maybe we could go through some of my ideas."

He seems unsure. But eventually he nods.

"Okay do you have a computer I can use?" I ask. My fingers tap my thighs excitedly, eager to be doing their best job. Hacking.

"I have a laptop in my apartment" Ryan answers.

"Can I use it?" I ask.

"Yeah. Come on" Ryan says and holds out a hand to help me up off of my couch.

We quickly arrive at Ryan's apartment. Once there Ryan goes to his bedroom and retrieves his laptop. He hands it to me and I quickly sit down at the dining room table to get to work.

Within a minute I already have the design plans of the mansion the charity ball will be at up on the screen. I find the master bedroom and point to it. "Dom will be there before he makes his grand appearance. Probably making sure everything is going to plan" I say.

"That sounds reasonable" Ryan says.

"Should we do it then? Sedate him?" I ask.

"How would we get out without going unnoticed?" Ryan asks.

"The master bedroom over looks the backyard. Since the event is in Miami there's a very high chance everyone will be there- outside. Everyone would see us if we tried to sneak out the back. What about the front?" I ask.

"No. These people are rich. They think highly of themselves and believe that they have the authority to arrive late. There's no exact time that's guaranteed we can walk out the front without being caught" Ryan says.

"So we have to wait until after the party. How good are these makeup artists?" I ask.

"I think they can do enough to mask us from afar. But up close I'm not so sure" he says.

"So we'll just blend in. Mingle" I say.

Ryan looks out the window, looking in deep thought. The light shines brightly on his face, creating a sharp contrast from under his jaw. I can't help but stare at him. I've never been attracted to someone in this way.

I snap out of it when Ryan turns to me. "So we'll hide in the bathroom as the party winds down. When everyone's gone we'll strike" he says.

"Sounds good" I say.

"You nervous?" Ryan asks.

"You want the honest answer?" I ask even though I know he's going to say yes.

"No shit" he says and I chuckle at the use of his swear word.

"I'm actually excited to kick some ass" I say and laugh.

Ryan looks at me and says seriously, "This isn't a joke Ashley."

"Fine. I'm a little nervous too. Just seeing Dom again..." I trail off.

Ryan sighs. "It's not like I need nervousness to be your response. This just needs to be taken seriously."

"I am being serious Ryan!" I exclaim.

"Then act like it" he says.

My jaw clenches and I look down, a trick I learned to not talk back to the people at the S.I.N.S.

"Hey, I'm sorry" Ryan says. The word still seeming so unfamiliar to hear.

"It's fine" I say.

"Rea-" Ryan starts to say but then remembers I don't say things I don't mean.

"Thanks for apologizing" I mumble.

"Are we okay?" Ryan asks, unsure.

"Yeah. Sorry I wasn't coming off serious" I apologize.

"It's fine. I promise I'll protect you from Dom. If he lays a finger on you I'll put a bullet through his head" Ryan swears.

"Ryan, hold on. You know he's more valuable alive than dead" I say uneasily.

"Not to me. Not after what he's done to you" Ryan says.

His words make me feel like I'm at a loss of breath. But I know his statement is untrue.

"Imagine all the people who work for him. All his contacts. We could save so many lives, Ryan. I know you know that" I say.

Ryan sighs. "I know. Honestly the reason I don't want you to go on this mission isn't because you aren't ready. You're extremely smart and capable so I know you are. But I hate that there's a chance that he'll... have control of you again" Ryan explains and searches my face for a reaction.

I frown and meet his gaze. "I promise Ryan I'll be careful" I say.