Chapter 9

Ryan seems to be really happy now as I follow him to one of the many blue mats on the ground in the huge room. Fortunately, we're alone. Ryan notices this too and turns around to look at me.

"Don't tell anyone what just happened" Ryan says.

"What did just happen Ryan?" I ask him, serious.

"Did you feel something before we kissed? Like a pull?" he asks.

"You felt that too? How?" I continue to question.

Ryan grins. "I guess we're attracted to each other" he says.

I'm so confused. "What? But how? We were just about to kill each other and then..." I trail off.

"Love works in mysterious ways" Ryan says before he can stop it from slipping off his tongue.

"Love?!" I exclaim and glare at him.

He blushes a pink color. "Maybe it's not love... yet" he speaks the last word quietly.

"I don't get it. We just met" I say.

Ryan seems to be examining me. "How much experience have you had with relationships?" he asks.

"None" I say and Ryan looks shocked. "I would never date an evil psychopath. Ryan, those were the people that've surrounded me for the past years of my life" I explain.

"You've missed out on so much" Ryan says sincerely. His face looks so melancholy.

I'm getting tired of this subject. I already know how depressing my life is. I'm 21 and I've missed out on everything I should expect from my teenage years. Victory, defeat, love, sex.

"Including how to fight" I say to steer the topic back to my training. I'm definitely not as scared now that Ryan seems like he'll have second thoughts before he kills me.

"Right" Ryan mutters, but he gives me a sad look telling me this conversation isn't over. "Step forward with your right leg and put both hands up" he says and that begins our hand combat training.

There were several awkward moments while we sparred. Once, when Ryan was teaching me how to trip an opponent, he used one of his legs to swipe mine out from under me and I fell right onto Ryan's shoulder. He caught me and we were in a somewhat hugging position. I looked up and Ryan and I made eye contact. This new sexual tension alive between us.

When I thought we were done with the training, Ryan said "There's one more thing you need to learn."

"Aww what?" I groan- sweaty, tired, and most of all irritable.

"GTP" he says simply.

"GTP?" I ask having no clue what he means.

"Grab, twist, pull" Ryan states.

"What the hell does that mean?" I wonder.

"Think about it, Einstein" he says bringing memories of me being called that nickname back into my head.

My old boss, D-Trix, used to call me that every time he needed me for a mission.

"Hack into this, Einstein" or "find out info on this, Einstein" he would say. I hated it.

But for some reason coming from Ryan's mouth I like it. Maybe it's that happy teasing behind it. Not the "you and your family are only alive because you're as smart as Einstein" meaning D-Trix always intended.

I shutter at the memory but it's soon gone with Ryan's bright smile in my vision.

"So any idea what 'grab, twist, pull' means?" he asks.

And then it hits me like a freight train. Oh.

"How the hell could that come in handy?" I try to imagine.

"I'll show you. Come here" he says even though we're only standing three feet away from each other.

I walk across the blue mat. "Turn around" Ryan instructs. I warily turn around, unsure of Ryan's intentions.

Suddenly, Ryan throws his arms over my shoulders. His arms press my back into his chest. I struggle to get out of his grip and when I find that I can't I ask "Now what?"

"GTP" Ryan simply instructs, although he's breathing a little raggedly right on my ear.

I realize what he wants me to do, or rather what he's teaching me to do, and I reach between my open legs with my hand to find whats behind them- Ryan's groin.

'Grab, twist, pull' I think sourly.

I grab Ryan's crotch and by the time I'm on the second step he's let go of me.

"Now quick- stomp on one of my feet!" he grunts and I'm happy to release his manhood and focus on another body part. I bring my right foot up and smash it onto Ryan's right foot.

"OW! Mother of fuck I hate teaching this!" Ryan exclaims as I turn around and back slowly away from him.

"I like GTP" I say and smirk, even though it was uncomfortable for both of us.

"Fuck you" Ryan says playfully. I see he's trying to smile but he's obviously in a lot of pain.

"You have an iron grip Mr. Higa" I say referring to when he threw his arms around me and wouldn't budge.

"As do you Ms. Kent" he mutters and my eyes scan over his hands that caress his groin.

And then the most unexpected thing happens. We burst into laughter, both of us. Our laughs echo around the huge warehouse-like room.

I guess this partnership won't be so bad.