Chapter 28

Hours now have gone by. Dinner was a little awkward after our confrontation with D-Trix, but I think both Ryan and I did a good job at keeping our covers.

A few couples are left dancing together on the temporary dance floor spread out on the side of the lawn, Ryan and me included. If this whole thing hadn't been a scam, it actually would have been a very nice event.

A giggly middle age couple can be heard from my right, and I peek over at them to see the woman barely able to balance in her heels.

"I think it's time to go" her partner says to her. She nods and I watch as he wraps an arm around her waist, keeping the tipsy lady upright.

Ryan leans down and says quietly in my ear, "Should we find a place to hide now?"

I look around for D-Trix and spot him talking to the giggly couple I was just watching. The man has his checkbook out and he's scribbling something down. I see Sandoval peek at the check and his eerie smile grows.

"Yeah. Now's the perfect time. We should go right to his bedroom and wait for him there. Luckily the stairs are right by the door so we can pretend we are leaving" I say.

"Act tipsy. In case he sees us as we walk past him so we have an excuse to leave" Ryan explains.

"Good idea" I say and let my body go limp.

"Woah there" Ryan says and catches me. I giggle and put my arms around his neck.

Ryan smirks. "Time to go, Carmen" he says.

Ryan starts to lead me past D-Trix and into the mansion,

"Thank you for coming sir" I hear D-Trix say.

Sounds like he's ending that conversation. I decide to kiss Ryan to make him feel too uncomfortable to talk to us.

I stop and yank on Ryan's arm. He turns around with a confused look on his face. Just as I hear Dom begin to say, "Mr. and Mrs. Chav-" I slam my lips onto Ryan's face. I gently tug on Ryan's bottom lip with my teeth, and let my tongue slip in.

"Carmen, I think it's time to leave" Ryan says as he pulls away from me. His tone of voice is playful, letting me know he's catching on to my plan.

"Stay a little longer?" Dom suggests, and we both look at him to see a small smile on his face.

Ryan puts his hand on my bare and lower back, just above where my dress covers my bum.

"My wife really needs to get some rest, we'll see you around Mr. Palino" Ryan says.

Dom nods to us and walks over to the dance floor where the few remaining couples seem to be having a good time. Ryan dips down and whispers in my ear, "Nice kiss" and I feel my cheeks blush.

Once we're safely inside the mansion, Ryan lets go of me and we walk back to the front doors.

Just before we go through the front doors I look carefully around the room. The crystal chandelier above us illuminates the room nicely, giving me a clear view that we are alone.

"Clear to go up" Ryan says after he checks the room as well.

We turn left and head up one of the grand staircases.

Ryan reaches inside his breast pocket and pulls out his gun. He holds the handle close to his face, the muzzle pointing upwards. The top of the stairway ends at a hallway. I point right to signal to Ryan that is the direction we need to go in. He nods.

Just as Ryan steps out into the hallway, the back of a gun is slammed right into his face. Ryan drops to the floor, the gun he was holding falls out of his hand and slides towards me. I race to grab it, when I feel a fist collide with the side of my face. Immediately everything goes black.