Orion

FLASHBACK ~ 8 YEARS AGO

The gymnasium is alive with energy as the final moments of the volleyball game play out. The crowd cheers, and the scoreboard displays the winning point for Kita's team. Amidst the celebration, you stand in the bleachers, your heart pounding with pride for Kita and the rest of your friends on the team.

After a few moments, the team disperses from the court and begins to collect their belongings. Your eyes scan the crowd, looking for Kita, his tall, athletic frame glistening with sweat. And when you spot him, you can see his eyes sparkle with victory as he cheers alongside his teammates. You're so excited to see him. It's the first time in weeks since you've been able to watch him play.

When you spot him, you rush up to him and throw your arms around his neck. "Congratulations! I knew you could do it!"

He's surprised by your sudden presence, but returns the embrace. He laughs lightly as he pulls away. "I'm glad you're here, Y/N. I didn't think you'd be here. I thought you said your boyfriend was-"

"I do my best to make time for you, Shinsuke." You flash him a grin, and he smiles back, a bit flustered by the compliment. "You know that," you say. "Plus, it's not every day I get to see my friend win a championship."

But as Kita's perceptive gaze meets your eyes, he notices the faint bruise on your eye that you had tried to conceal with makeup. Concern washing over his face, he reaches out to gently touch your cheek.

"Your bruise is still there, Y/N," he says, his eyes meeting yours. "Did he hit you again?"

You shake your head quickly, pulling his hand away from your face. "No, no. I'm okay."

"I don't understand why you put up with that guy. I don't like the way he treats you." Kita's brow furrows with concern.

"You're my best friend, Shinsuke. You've always looked out for me." You reach out and touch his cheek. "But trust me when I say that I'm okay."

He stares at you intently. He knows he can't convince you to break up with your boyfriend. And despite his disapproval, he knows that it's your decision to make. Kita can't help but wonder why you would put up with the abuse. And even though it's hard for him to admit, he knows that he has no say in your personal life.

After your conversation, you walk away from Kita, unintentionally leaving him there to get questioned by his teammates about you.

"What was that about?" Gin asks, a smug grin on his face. "Looks like someone has a crush on you."

"Come on," Kita rolls his eyes. "You know Y/N is just my friend."

"Sure, if that's what you want to call it," Gin laughs.

Kita turns to him, annoyed. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"We've all seen the way you look at her, Kita," Atsumu chimes in. "I'd be surprised if she hasn't noticed by now."

"It's not like that." Kita insists, but he knows it's futile. His teammates know better.

Atsumu grins. "Why don't you just tell her how you feel?"

Kita shakes his head. "I can't do that. She has a boyfriend."

Gin smirks. "So? She's obviously not happy. And she always puts you before him. What's stopping you from telling her?"

"She wouldn't leave him. She wouldn't do that to him. Even if it's true. And I wouldn't do that to her either."

"Then what are you going to do?"

Kita sighs. "Nothing. I'll just keep my feelings to myself."

"That's a shame." Gin smiles sadly.

Kita glances at you, who is now about to walk out of the gym. "I just want her to be happy," he says.