//The Other Boys At School PT. 3//

They became aware of the situation with Tommy and Dream very suddenly.

Everything was normal, and then they noticed the previously loud boy in their grade had fallen silent. The one who used to always shout his opinion glanced at his one friend, seemingly for permission, before speaking. The one who seemed to eager to play-fight at any given opportunity flinched when touched. The one with the bright smile hardly even looked up anymore.

It was wrong. And they all knew what had happened.

What they don't tell you about social outcasts is that sometimes they deserve it. While Tommy didn't, Dream definitively did.

Dream was known for being a bully; he was held back one year and never hesitated to use his size and age against anyone he could. For the most part, everyone avoided him.

Except, somehow, he managed to convince Tommy they were friends.

Well... the how part wasn't exactly a mystery. Tommy had been outcasted too— for being too loud, to annoying, too much.

He was alone, and more than that, he was lonely. He'd take attention in any form it was available in.

If Dream was good for nothing else, he could give Tommy attention. If it bordered on obsession, then how was a kid with no other friends supposed to know the difference?

And that was how he ended up as a shell of his former self at the age of eight years old (and even then, that was just the age other people took notice at, who's to say it wasn't earlier?).

A few boys decided to try to help. How could they not? Anyone could see Tommy needed to get away from Dream as soon as possible. So they invited him to play with them at recess, only for Dream to answer with a harsh no. Tommy whispered an apology, and did as he was told.

Next time, the same thing happened, but one big decided to speak up. "We asked him, not you. Why don't you listen to what he wants?"

And Dream, to their horror, grabbed Tommy by his arm and roughly pushed the smaller boy towards them, causing him to fall over.

"Go on, Tommy, tell them what you think."

"I—"

"Don't be stupid."

Tommy nodded. "No, I— I can't— I don't want to play with you."

"Are you sure? We'll let you stay," one of them stressed, trying to get the idea in Tommy's head that he could have a permanent escape from Dream if he wanted.

"As long as you want," another one added.

But Tommy nodded, and Dream smirked. "I'm sure. Please go."

And so, sadly, they did.

But not before having a great idea: they should go to the teacher!

So they are did. And they told her that Dream pushed Tommy and he skinned his knee.

But Dream and Tommy both denied it, saying he just tripped. Somehow the teacher didn't notice how tightly Dream's arm was wrapped around Tommy's small shoulders as they lied. The other boys did though.

And for the rest of the day, Dream was extra harsh towards Tommy, staring straight at their group the whole time.

They tried to do a good thing, and Tommy was punished for it. Repeatedly.

However, they were young and hyped up on the inspirational words of Disney Channel— they believed anything was possible if they put their minds to it.

They continued approaching Tommy whenever they could, despite the way it only seemed to make Dream angrier.

Then, one day, as punishment for talking to them, Dream pressed Tommy's arm against the rough asphalt and dragged it, ripping the skin to pieces.