//You've Got Me? (I've Got you.) PT. 1//

"Can I see him?"

The Runt's question is quiet. Hesitant as he twists his hands close to his chest as he looks up hopefully at his Protector.

She makes a questioning snort and turns to furrow her brow down at him. "What?"

"The Blood God." He clarifies, his tail swishing hopefully behind him. The Bastion has been expecting the God to visit for several seasons now. And Tommy's heard all the excited whispers from the other Shoats about him. Everyone's excited to see him. A few are hoping to be blessed with the opportunity to even meet him. None of the Shoats will likely meet the God; but they'll definitely see him. The matrons will want them to have that experience.

But he's not sure if he will be allowed to meet him as the Runt of the Sounder. The bottom of the hierarchy.

It's the only reason he seeked his Protector out today. Normally the Runt tries to stay as far away as he can from her since she's..Easily agitated. Especially around him. She's not bad. Doesn't hurt him or anything like that. But she tends to be more irritable whenever the Runt is around.

"Can I see him?" The Runt repeats.

His Protectors brow furrows more, and he knows that look. Knows what the answer will be before she even opens her mouth. "Absolutely not."

He whines, flicking his ears back. "B-But-"

She stomps her hoof with a warning snort, and the Runt instantly backs down. He pulls his tail into his hands with an apologetic whimper and tilts his head to bare his throat in apology. But Protector just huffs in dismissal and turns her back on him to continue her conversation with one of the hunters.

"Get back to the Den." She orders over her shoulder. "One of the matrons will get you for Second Meal."

He nods, his neck still bared in apology; but Protector and the hunter walk off down the hall, leaving the Runt alone in the hall.

She didn't forgive him.

Granted, she didn't reject the apology either; but she just left him there to stew in uncertainty. He doesn't like it. He feels scared and alone and he wants someone to comfort him. Wants someone to hold him close and tell him he's ok. To at least tell him they forgive him.

He whimpers cautiously into the hall; but all that greets him is his own echo.

Defeated, the Runt walks back to the Den with his tail held anxiously in his hands.

The Blood God arrives not long after 2nd meal. Which isn't a surprise. The entire Bastion was waiting for him and knew about when he would arrive. But something unexpected must've happened- because everyone's whispering about two others he brought with him.

"It must be his Sounder." One scout whispers to another; not noticing the Runt lingering around the corner; listening.