//Fours A Crowd PT.5//

It was stupid, really. Easily avoidable, if they had just caught the signs early on. Of course, they didn't. If there was a mistake to be made, rest assured that they made them all.

They had been in Geometry, when a new kid appeared. Purpled. He was tall and blonde, quiet and nice. It was just long enough after the amusement park incident for Tommy's face to have healed, but not his wrist nor his ribs. Purpled was seated near them, and it wasn't long before he became a friend.

He wasn't quite a part of their little group. They didn't take him to the treehouse, or invite him over every day. It'd be too hard with him living all the way across town anyway. But still. He came over most weekends, and they talked to him in every class they had together. He was a friend— a close one at that. And Tommy always tried his best to be a good friend.

Purpled wasn't completely stupid; he quickly picked up on the fact that there was something a little off about Tommy. He just didn't quite realize how serious it was.

When Tommy offered to do his homework, he accepted. Why wouldn't he? And when he flinched, Purpled laughed. There was no reason to assume anything was wrong. He made fun of the younger's inability to say no, and took advantage of it on more than one occasion. But he wasn't a bad person or anything. He didn't think so, at least. Most of the time he declined Tommy's things, and he never seriously tried to hurt him. Well....not at first anyway.

He just wanted to know. He wanted to find Tommy's limit. At what point would the chronically timid blonde boy snap back? And if this experiment made his life a whole lot easier in the process, then that was even better.

He hadn't meant for it to go this far. But he didn't particularly care either.

Ranboo's two best friends were sat in his kitchen when he first thought there may be a problem with Purpled. He'd later wish he hadn't brushed it off.

"Tommyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! Hurry up!" Tubbo whined when their friend was still doing homework over an hour after the two of them had finished. He was normally the first to be done.

"Sorry," Tommy said. He sounded apologetic, but didn't look up from the papers scattered across the table.

"What are you even doing?" Ranboo asked, walking over. He rolled his eyes when he saw, anger rolling through him. "Seriously? Purpled's work again?"

It was at least the third time this week Ranboo had caught his friend doing the other's assignments.

Tommy just shrugged.

"He's still giving you his work?" Tubbo asked, a certain edge in his voice. Tommy tensed, but continued working on what appeared to be the last problem.

"I offered," Tommy said.

"You shouldn't do that again." He sounded angry.

Tommy had done the same for them at first. Both of them had accepted a few times at the respective points when they first met the blonde. Who wouldn't accept free homework help? However, it didn't take very long before they felt guilty and began to decline. They'd both even offered to do his a few times to make up for it, though Tommy had never accepted.

"Sorry." He quickly made a few more marks on the page and then finally looked up at them. "I'm done anyway. Sorry for wasting time, I can do it at home tomorrow."

Ranboo cringed, glad he was standing behind Tommy so the other couldn't see.

"That's....you shouldn't do it at all, man. You have enough on your plate, he can handle a few pages of homework."

For a second Tommy really looked like he was going to argue— Ranboo was almost excited. Then he looked down and agreed, like he always did.

Tubbo looked at Ranboo helplessly. Ranboo just shrugged back, equally helpless. They always tried to avoid making Tommy's decisions for him, but it was really hard sometimes. Like now. Tubbo had only meant to make a suggestion, but Tommy had taken it as a command. Now what? If he took it back then Tommy would keep doing double the work he should have to, and if they didn't then it would reinforce the idea that he was required to follow their lead.