STEVE BUSIED HIMSELF with breakfast. And what a breakfast it would be. A feast, really. Bacon, eggs, sausage links, home fries, French toast. Hell, Steve even thought about whipping up some pancakes. But he knew that Hodge would complain about Steve trying to fatten him up before his big break. Which couldn't be further than the truth. Steve was just so giddy with losing the bet that he couldn't help but make everything in his sight. Really, Hodge was lucky that Steve hadn't been to the grocery store yet that week or else he would've made more.

"... has, unfortunately, succumbed to his injuries late last night."

Turning to face the living room, Steve reached for the remote so he could turn the tv volume up.

Seeing the smiling face of Jonathan F. Walker made Steve's heart break. He had been hoping that the alpha would pull through. He couldn't even imagine what the man's wife and other loved ones were going through right now.

  He couldn't even imagine what the man's wife and other loved ones were going through right now

Soon-to-be father. Steve's hand dropped down to his own abdomen. He didn't know what he would've done if he was in John's wife's place, and he made a note to send her his condolences.

"Is something burning?"

Jumping at the sound of Hodge's voice, Steve rushed back to the kitchen where the eggs were very much burnt. Annoyed with himself, Steve cursed, "For fuck's sake."

"Not the first thing you've burnt," Hodge chuckled, "Probably won't be the last either."

Narrowing his eyes into slits, he tried to ignore his husband's teasing. This morning was supposed to be a good one. Especially with the news that Steve had been rehearsing for the past couple of weeks.

"What is all this anyway?" Hodge asked, looking over the variety of breakfast foods.

"Well, if you waited in bed, you'd know."

When Hodge didn't say anything to that in reply, Steve nervously glanced over at the beta. Trying to gauge his reaction to the news that he had won the bet. However, the taller blond just seemed confused with his manicured brows in a deep, heavy furrow.