THE FOLLOWING MORNING Steve called Peggy to let her know that she didn't need to bring the vitamin shake over. At first, Peggy wanted to argue about how the baby needed it, but thankfully, she was willing to listen when Steve explained he'd stop by and drink it before he left.

"You're feeling well enough to go out?" Peggy asked once Steve arrived at 12A.

"I'm hoping to trick my body," Steve said, gulping down the thin, sour milkshake. "Maybe if I can pretend, it'll listen."

A small smile tugged at the corners of Peggy's bright red lips, "I'm sure you'll start feeling better soon. You just wait and see, my dear."

"From your mouth to God's ears," Steve finished the drink, only wincing slightly.

"Have a wonderful time, darling."

Steve thanked her and left feeling a little better. Maybe this could work, Steve thought. Then, decided, Yes, this will work! I'm sure of it!

As Steve walked towards the restaurant, he was relieved that it was such a nice day. Sunny with just a bit of chill. It wasn't bad. In fact, it was invigorating. Made him want to create the world around him. The world with lovers, strolling hand-in-hand. Parents with children on their backs or on their shoulders. Friends with their heads thrown back, grasping onto each other in their laughter. It was what Steve loved most about New York; there was always inspiration.

Reaching Shawarma Palace at a quarter to eleven, Steve debated whether he should go in and get a table. Especially since – while it was nice on the walk over – the chill was getting to him. Sinking into his skin and making his bones ache.

Not too long after, the stabbing in Steve's abdomen started up again. He held his midsection and tried to refrain from doubling over. The only thing that he could think about was the pain. Constant, unrelenting, disorienting pain. Pain that felt like his baby was trying to cut their way out of his womb.

Listen here, pain! Steve thought. You're not going to win this! I promise you, you're not going to win! You're not going to break me! So, begone! Leave! Adios! Arrivederci! Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya!

However, the pain stayed. Just like the bully it was.

At five to eleven Steve decided to enter the restaurant. He did have to eat, after all. Whether Abraham was there or not. He'd understand, Steve was sure of it. Especially with Steve expecting. After all, Abraham was the one who claimed he needed to gain more weight. Even if his pants were getting tighter by the day.

Nevertheless, Steve kept an eye out for the older beta. Even as his meal was brought out to him. Even as other customers came and went. Even as the clock ticked by. But there wasn't hide or hair of the author.

Checking his phone, Steve worried his lower lip with his teeth. He had hoped that Abraham would've texted him or called him. There wasn't any word from him though. So, Steve decided to call him.

"Hello?" A woman sniffled.

"Greta?" Steve sighed in relief, assuming that Abraham had gotten tied up by being a good husband and taking care of his ill wife. "Is Abe there? It's Steve. We were supposed to grab lunch."

More sniffling, "Oh, Steve, I'm so sorry, but we're at the hospital."

A chill shot down Steve's spine, "Why are you at the hospital? Is everything alright?"

"I don't know," Greta admitted and sniffled again, clearly crying. "Last night he got up to get a drink and collapsed. We're at Metro-General."